Multiple Locations

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can the vault be open in multiple locations without causing issues with corrupted data?

Obviously I’d expect a conflict if you tried editing the same file from both computers.

You just should test it, but as far as I know there’s no multi client support. I guess Cryptomator will detect a conflict and create a copy of the file.

We should document this behavior somewhere at some point but working on the encrypted data from multiple locations works the same as if you’d work on unencrypted data from multiple locations.

If there is a sync conflict, you’re probably familiar with how most cloud storage services deal with this. They’ll create a conflict file (e.g., by appending a (1) to indicate that there was a conflict) and you have to figure out which file to keep.

The same happens on encrypted files. Cryptomator is able to detect sync conflicts and will show you the conflicted file with a (Conflict XYZ) at the end.

I haven’t been able to find any recent documentation on this … but since I also found another post on this topic, I assume it is still okay to for instance have a vault in your Dropbox, share it with another user and have both users open it in their local Cryptomator installation at the same time?

Due to @tobihagemann post right above yours: the answer is yes.