Office Upload Center may interfere with saving to Cryptomator drives

Please note that because of Cryptomator providing the virtual drive via WebDAV, Office Upload Center 2010 will assume Cryptomator files are on a network drive. If you have “paused uploads”, it will silently fail to save files to Cryptomator and they will remain in Office cache unencrypted instead.

E.g., this resulted in Excel displaying a small message on the application status bar when trying to save to Cryptomator drive while uploads paused. But exiting Excel doesn’t show any dialog boxes or other signs that anything is wrong.

Then it’s possible to lock the vault in Cryptomator. Upon unlocking it and reopening the file, it would have lost all the changes.

Personal notes: After discovering the Upload Center alert, I saw all my save attempts sitting in Office’s upload cache on the local drive. Took me some time to get to the bottom of this as the “uploads paused” message is not very noticeable.

Notes from developers: If you’re using Office 2016 and having issues with Upload Center, make sure that cryptomator-vault is set inside your hosts file. See this known issue for more details. Compatibility with Microsoft Office is the main reason, why we’ve added this entry in the first place. In our experience, this little trick bypasses Office Upload Center altogether.

Starting with version 1.4.0-beta2 we now have an alternative to WebDAV. The virtual drive can now also be mounted via Dokany.

I suppose I don’t need to remind you to make backups before testing beta software. :wink:

Observed some of the problems also under Dokany (e.g. excel files cannot be opened when the computer is offline).

I have the same problem, but the hosts file already was changed. Still it’s not possible to save a excel worksheet in the cryptomator vault.
So what now? I’ve update to the latest version.

It would be nice if someone of Cryptomator would solve this issue, at least reply on this problem!
This is a serious problem because Dokany is also not working properly as stated above.

Hi,
it seems to me that nothing changed regarding this problem.
If I am wrong and there has been a fix, I would be happy to learn about it!
Can anyone help?

Files stored in my cryptomator-vault are still uploaded to this Office Cloud… :frowning:

I hope I just missed the fix…

@xberg36

We cannot fix this. But only users still using WebDAV are affected. If you are using Dokany as the virtual volume provider, this issue does not happen. But:

I don’t know if this is the same issue as the thread openenr stated.

Performed the latest update and installed Dokany with that.
And switching to Dokany seems to have worked.
Thanks!