Cryptomator 1.6.0: What you need to know

Hello Community!

In this blog post, we’d like to give you some news about the upcoming major update of Cryptomator to version 1.6.0. We’ll be highlighting the most significant changes and new features and make sure that you are ready for the update.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://cryptomator.org/blog/2021/10/11/1-6-0-what-you-need-to-know/
3 Likes

Hi, thank you for your post.
I’d like to know if new release will include upload of folders too (the whole structure folders and files).
Thank you

Since our desktop version has always been able to do this, I assume that you mean our Android app. It has also gotten new features and bug fixes in version 1.6.0, but unfortunately upload of folders has not been implemented yet.

Thank you so much for your answer!
Yes, I’m using it on Android.
Please, I, and not only me, also a lot of us users, need it!! Could you implement it into new version 1.6 before release the update?
I need to backup it and I can’t since years.
Thank you

We are very aware of the importance of this feature, especially the added value it brings, we will definitely implement it but it will not be included in version 1.6.0, which will be released next week.

Just a small Feedback. To have new technology on board is always (mostly) good. Even for Security Software. But a notice of such fundamental changes before an update will be really welcome.
A quick check of the Release Notes hasn’t informed me, that I will no have additional work the whole afternoon to make the Android App running again… Keep on runnin!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that it took that long to get the Android app running again.

May I ask what you had to set up in the Android app after the update? That would help us even more :slight_smile:.

I see the last header is “Update Guide”, but I don’t see any guide per se.

My situation is this: I have a rather large vault that is solely in remote storage. I cannot download it to my tiny desktop hard drive. How do I update the drive? I use cryptomator on pretty much every platform you support, so if there’s a way to upgrade it without downloading the whole vault, I should be able to do it.

One caveat, I do not currently have access to a windows machine. (Macos, linux, ios, ipados, android are all options though)

@Jamesjohns The answer to your question can be found in the vault format 8 article, last section:

I see that is describes at a high level what changes are made, but I do not see how to upgrade. How would I “download only this file” via the Android client, for example?

As soon as you try to open your vault with a desktop app 1.6.x, it will detect wether your vault version is 7 and then ask you if you want to migrate.
The latest android version can deal with both vault versions. So when it comes to usage of android, you should not experience a difference. (Same for iOS)
The migration is done via desktop app.
And no: you do not have to download your complete vault for migration. During migration process, only the Masterkey file is edited and thus down/uploaded. This will be done by the app. You do not have to do it manually (as it is with every file when it is changed).
In simple words: install the latest desktop version, open vault, start migration, done.

I appreciate you walking through this explicitly. I did not realize the apps were compatible with 7 and 8. There must be something wrong with my Android app, because after updating the app to 1.6.2, there frequently is a “an error occurred” notification. I thought it was exclusive to 8 vaults (which is what prompted my first comment). After reading your reply, I tried opening various vaults, and I’ve successfully opened both 7 and 8 vaults. However, for both 7 and 8 vaults, I’ve also gotten the “an error occurred” thing. I guess I’ll just have to be patient and try opening again if it doesn’t work the first time.

A little note about the error I’m experiencing: the vaults unlock just fine, but the error is when the file list is supposed to load. Instead of listing the files, it opens a window showing no vault content, with the error notification popup. Going back and retapping the vault to load the list of files eventually works, but not without a few times of throwing the error.

Using the Android app, can you please enable debug mode, reproduce the problem and send us the log file? How do I enable debug mode on Android?

This might shed some light on the problem.

If I can figure out how to rename files or create a dummy vault to replicate the problem, I will do so!

(file name privacy is one of the reasons I use your fantastic software!)