The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “xxxx.xxx” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

I use mountain duck to mount my google drive. I created a vault with cryptomator and tried to write a file to the vault and get this error:
The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “xxxx.xxx” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

I am using MACos High Sierra.

1 Like

I found a work around. If I create the vault on my drive then drag the vault into the Cloud Drive, then it all works fine. Only when I am creating it through the Cryptomator app, do I have the problem.

Just wanted to add that this is probably related to

As I’ve stated below:

You just have to make sure that you don’t(!) enter the password when Mountain Duck asks you to do so. Because once you’ve entered the password in Mountain Duck, Cryptomator can’t access the encrypted data anymore because they’re already decrypted by Mountain Duck.

If you think that it’s a different issue, please check out the log file if there are any error messages.

Error Code 36 In Apple Mac Devices due to the problem in the external media. Might be, there is no connection stability. You should also try to check External Media and cable.
for more info visit this URL

Sep 18 2022
Bumping this thread. Getting this error when copying a folder into the vault folder. The only workaround is to copy individual files, not folders. The folder location is in the iCloud Drive, but I created a vault folder in the local drive and still gives me the error. I checked the source folder (Get Info) and changed permissions for my username, “staff” and “everyone” to Read & Write. No help.

This topic was created over 4 years ago in the forum, but I did not see any solution.

Cryptomator V. 1.6.14 (latest)
Volume Type: WebDAV
WebDAV Port 42427
Mac OS Monterey, V 12.6
Mac mini M2, 2020, Memory 16GB

1 Like

having this same issue multiple times, frustrating. doubt if i can use it as a stable means for backup.