Add a document provider to the Android app

Some Android apps, usually from cloud storage providers, implement an Android facility from the storage access framework called “document provider”. This allows other apps to query for content on that app that might not necessarily reside in the filesystem, and with more granular access control than if it were stored say, on an sdcard.

While cryptomator makes use of this feature to write and write to a vault, I couldn’t find an option to allow other apps to write to and read from a vault trough it.

I planned on using this app to backup my WhatsApp directory (with images, audio files, documents and messages) to a vault hosted on a cloud storage provider I don’t trust enough to give it all the content from my main im platform on plaintext, for this I’d configure synchronize ultimate to put everything on “/sdcard/WhatsApp/” to a vault managed by cryptomator, every day at 3am. Sadly this wasn’t possible, as cryptomator does not implement a document provider at the time of writing.

Please add this feature! I hope I made a strong enough case for the devs to consider implementing this in the future, I could try adding this feature myself, but iirc the source code for the app is not publicly available. Thanks for reading!

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/providers/document-provider

1 Like

Hey and welcome in the community :smile:!

Thanks for this feature request. It is already tracked on Github and mentioned on our roadmap, which we are working through bit by bit.

So please stay tuned, it’ll be available!

1 Like

Hi,

are there any news on this? The issue is open since 2017 and it’s on the roadmap for years, postponed again and again. In my opinion this is a really essential feature.

2 Likes

I saw as well that this was once again delayed, this time to 1.9.0. It would have been nice if a comment was at least added to the issue to let people know why.

1 Like

On the one hand, the complexity (and technical debt) of the app is growing and keeping the code base “up-to-date” is quite a large maintenance task. On the other hand, there were and still are more pressing issues that we have to prioritize.

We hear you and we understand your frustration. Postponing a feature isn’t easy for us either. We’re still making great progress with the Android app and are solving bugs and adding new features. When the time comes for the document provider, we will obviously be ecstatic to share the news. But until then, we’re doing our best to give you the best experience with Cryptomator across all platforms.

1 Like

This feature would be really nice to have

1 Like

Hey Guys,

do you have any updates on that topic or possibly an ETA?

Thanks for the great work!

1 Like

We’re in late 2023 now. Since 2017, this feature request has been postponed from 1.6.x to 1.11.0

For my personal user experience, this feature is crucial. I totally love the Cryptomator idea, and the windows app works like a charm. I really need this user experience in Android. For the moment, I just can view my stored files, but not really work with them on the mobile devices efficiently.

2 Likes

Bump. Bumpedibump. Bumpbumpbump.
To achieve the 20 characters minimum.

Are you guys still working on this feature? C’mon already…

1 Like

They are working on it. There is a dedicated branch in their repository. But i cannot wait to receive that feature. Good thing might take a while.

I would be very helpful to get an honest estimate.

Is it for example thinkable to get this feature in the next 6 month? I know that it’s not possible to promise and I don’t mean it like that. I just want an honest opinion about the vision.

Or is there still no estimate.The issue is open since years and I’m start losing faith that it will every solved.

Without this feature the Android app is basically not usable for me and many others. I can’t say it more kindly because it’s the reality of the situation.

I can’t think of a function that is more important because it is the basis for using this app in many real use cases.

If you don’t see this priority to solve it in about a year, please at least be frank and don’t keep it in an “we will do it maybe” state so that the people who need it can get off the boat and stop keep wait for it.

2 Likes

Here to bump this.

I find it hard to believe that there were years worth of more pressing issues than implementing basic document provider functionality on a platform that is a huge chunk of the market.

You should be more incentivized to solve this since we can pay you directly for our licenses.

I enjoyed this functionality a lot on iOS. Respectfully, please fix this massive disappointment on the android app.

2 Likes

Update from Github:

TL;DR
“the project has been put on hold again, unlikely to be picked up before June.”
“We really want the Documents Provider to happen and we are sorry for delaying it again, but it will come, we promise!”

The whole text at the link is finally a good reply. It’s not great that it still has to wait, but you can’t demand more than a honest explaination, which it is.