Unable to mount Filesystem (Win 10)

I just tried to open a vault with Crptomator 1.5.3 and Dokany 1.3.1.1000 (Windows 10 Build 18363.778) and get the following error:

org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Volume$VolumeException: Unable to mount Filesystem
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.DokanyVolume.mount(DokanyVolume.java:57)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:129)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService$UnlockVaultTask.call(VaultService.java:299)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService$UnlockVaultTask.call(VaultService.java:278)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.cryptomator.frontend.dokany.MountFailedException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mount failed: Cannot install driver.
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.dokany.MountFactory.mount(MountFactory.java:128)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.DokanyVolume.mount(DokanyVolume.java:52)
	... 8 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mount failed: Cannot install driver.
	at com.dokany.java.DokanyDriver.start(DokanyDriver.java:72)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	... 4 more

Mounting the vault via webdav works. I reinstalled the dokany driver but this did not help.
Does anyone has an idea what is wrong?

Sure. I rebooted twice :grinning:

I just tried if the problem exists on my laptop, too and it does. De- and reinstallation of cryptomator and dokany did not work.

The error “Cannot install driver”…

… indicates that Dokany is not correctly installed. If you look into your log files, they contain the lines

[App Background Thread 003] INFO  com.dokany.java.DokanyDriver - Dokany version: XXX
[App Background Thread 003] INFO  com.dokany.java.DokanyDriver - Dokany driver version: XXX

The X’s should be replaced by some numbers. If the Dokany version is not followed by a meaningful number, it is another evidence that it is not installed properly.

As a workaround…

… you can switch to WebDAV in the general settings, but it has drawbacks (e.g. the file size is limited to 4GB).

To fix it…

…you can try the following procedure (and when I say reboot, I mean a reboot and not turning it off and on again :wink: ):

1. Check, that the files C:\Windows\System32\dokan1.dll and C:\Windows\System32\drivers\dokan1.sys exist.
  2. Uninstall Dokany over the Apps & Features panel
  3. Reboot
  4. Check, that both files do not exist anymore
  5. Install Dokany (I recommend the currently most recent one)
  6. Reboot
  7. Check that both files are again present

Afterwards Cryptomator should run fine.

Edit: Updated to also look for the system driver

Thanks for the hints, I used WebDAV already as workaroung. These are the lines of the logfile:

13:32:50.985 [App Background Thread 004] INFO  com.dokany.java.DokanyDriver - Dokany version: 130
13:32:51.000 [App Background Thread 004] INFO  com.dokany.java.DokanyDriver - Dokany driver version: 0
13:32:51.070 [App Background Thread 005] WARN  com.dokany.java.DokanyDriver - Error while mounting
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mount failed: Cannot install driver.
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
13:32:51.071 [App Background Thread 004] ERROR o.c.frontend.dokany.MountFactory - Mounting failed.
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mount failed: Cannot install driver.
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.dokany.Mount.mount(Mount.java:36)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.dokany.MountFactory.mount(MountFactory.java:119)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService$UnlockVaultTask.call(VaultService.java:299)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService$UnlockVaultTask.call(VaultService.java:278)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mount failed: Cannot install driver.
	... 4 common frames omitted
13:32:51.072 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR o.c.ui.unlock.UnlockController - Unlock failed for technical reasons.
org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Volume$VolumeException: Unable to mount Filesystem
Caused by: org.cryptomator.frontend.dokany.MountFailedException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mount failed: Cannot install driver.
	... 8 common frames omitted
	... 4 common frames omitted

It seems that the driver is loaded?!
Interestingly the Logfiles are not saved in the correct path: my %APPDATA% points to D:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming but Cryptomator saves the logs at drive C: Could this be the reason for the Dokany problem, too?

Only partially. As I already said, the versions at the end of the regarding log lines should be a meanigful number. Versionnumber “0” is hardly a valid version.

No. The Dokany driver is located in your system folder. Of course, if you do not follow the standard windows scheme where the system is located in C:it could lead to problems… Did you installed Dokany to a different than the default location?

Guys I just upgraded to 1.5.4 from somewhere in the 1.3’s. Converted 2 vaults and have the same problem accessing both. the webdav workaround is ok although I will run into the file size limitation. tried the reinstall of the dokany library but it did not help.

Here is my log file:

11:49:58.923 [main] INFO org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Starting Cryptomator 1.5.4 on Windows 10 10.0 (amd64)
11:50:02.183 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO o.c.ui.launcher.FxApplicationStarter - JavaFX Runtime started.
11:50:02.196 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO org.cryptomator.jni.FunctionsLoader - loaded WinFunctions.dll
11:50:08.832 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO o.c.k.WindowsProtectedKeychainAccess - Unable to load existing keychain file, creating new keychain.
11:50:09.226 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO o.cryptomator.ui.fxapp.UpdateChecker - Current version: 1.5.4, lastest version: 1.5.4
11:50:15.401 [App Background Thread 004] INFO com.dokany.java.DokanyDriver - Dokany version: 130
11:50:15.401 [App Background Thread 004] INFO com.dokany.java.DokanyDriver - Dokany driver version: 0
11:50:15.418 [App Background Thread 005] WARN com.dokany.java.DokanyDriver - Error while mounting
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mount failed: Cannot install driver.
11:50:15.418 [App Background Thread 004] ERROR o.c.frontend.dokany.MountFactory - Mounting failed.
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mount failed: Cannot install driver.
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.dokany.Mount.mount(Mount.java:36)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.dokany.MountFactory.mount(MountFactory.java:119)
at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:102)
at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:79)
at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:42)
… 5 common frames omitted
11:50:15.419 [App Background Thread 004] ERROR o.c.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow - Unlock failed for technical reasons.
at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:102)
at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:79)
at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:42)
… 11 common frames omitted
… 5 common frames omitted

Well, as already stated this is the error message that Dokany is not installed properly. Please try the above fix (and yes, also check if the files are present).

@Luto I updated my post on how to fix this, to also check for the driver file ( dokan1.sys). Is this file present on your device?

All files were in place. After de-installation the dokan1.sys was still in c:\windows\system32\drivers and I deleted it manually. The dokan1.dll was removed by the deinstallation routine.

After rebooting I reinstalled the latest Dokany version again, rebooted again and tried if it works. Unfortunately it does not.

I assume that my change from drive C: to D: (%LocalAppFolder%) is the reason. I will use WebDAV which works without problems (I dont use large files).

Thanks for your support!

In my case the uninstall could not remove the files. The command line remove did not work either. In the end I went through the registry and removed any reference to the dokan files and rebooted. After this the uninstaller removed the software. Then I reinstalled Dokany and then cryptomator and all is good.

As far as I can tell something was locking the dokan1.dll file preventing the uninstaller from removing it. so every time I tried to uninstall it it failed and rolled back.

Thank you!
I wasn’t able to uninstall dokan 1.3.1000. I’ve tried several things like re-downloading the .msi, running windows registry trubeshooter, cmd → sc delete etc.
Following your idea, I’ve removed all traces of dokan out of the registry and deleted all of the referenced files in c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\SysWOW64. This was the only way I was able to update cryptomator (which needed the installation of a newer version of dokany - 1.4.x)

Don’t follow my way if you don’t know what you are doing. I didn’t really know what the consequences of my actions were and prepared for the worst case (recent backups were made; I know how to re-install windows and all of my programs and what time that takes.)

But - it worked like a charm :sweat_smile:

Worked great for two days. I was going to give a couple more days then make a contribution.
When I left work last night, Cryptomator was working. You have done so much right!
Unfortunately, this morning (after rebooting my computer to do some cleanup) Cryptomator will no longer open a vault due to this
“org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Volume$VolumeException: Unable to mount Filesystem
at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.DokanyVolume.mount(DokanyVolume.java:48)
at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:151)” …on-and-on…
error. I have uninstalled/reinstalled both Cryptomator and Dokan (even installed the upgraded version of Dokan). I disabled Antivirus, turned off about 70% of my needless startup programs. To no avail.
This is a Dropbox folder, and I am able to open the folder and use Cryptomator on a different Windows 10 machine and the files are fine. This would indicate that the folder is not corrupt, nor there is an issue with Dropbox, rather something wrong with Cryptomator and/or Dokan on the problematic PC, and it is out of whack beyond what a series of uninstall/reinstall punting will solve. I made no changes between when it was working yesterday and when it failed today after a reboot.
This is a severely limiting characteristic of this software. The stakeholders of this project really need to determine a way to fix this permanently else the project is doomed to failure. I will begin to look for a different solution.
I hope I have clearly stated the situation without being offensive.

Call it an educated guess, but you might haven fallen into the following problem: [1.5.15 / 1.5.16] Cannot mount vault: Mount Timed Out

We are targeting for a solution in the next major release of Cryptomator (which is soon).

That is good news. I will be watching for it.
FYI, a little later in the day I tried remounting the vault and this time it mounted. Definitely a system-state based issue…