Unable to Create a New Vault, "No additional locations available." error message

Click here to create a new vault > Create a new vault > Local Storage > Click here to add locations > Error message “No additional locations available.”

Fresh install from Play Store. Using a Oneplus 6t, Android 11.

Do you have a custom ROM installed on your smartphone?

Hi, I don’t. I’m using the stock version of Oxygen OS 11.1.2.2.

Do you have rooted your phone?

Hi, it is not rooted.

Hi, that is really strange because then the message basically means that you have no file manager that supports opening directories :thinking:

Interesting. Would you suggest factory resetting my phone?

I can imagine that this could help but to be honest, I’m not sure.

Hi SailReal,
what is the magic behind the message “no file manager that supports opening directories”?
Facing this dialog and can’t create anything.
I’m using a stock ROM Oxygen 11.1.7.7 and my phone is rooted.

Thank you for your help.

Hey and welcome to the Cryptomator Community :slightly_smiling_face:,

It basically means that you have no app on your phone, that provides an Activity, that can handle a Intent.ACTION_OPEN_DOCUMENT_TREE intent. In other words, you have no file manager on your device that can be used, to open directories which is very strange because Android AOSP provides such an app by default and removing such an app without providing another one would be really weird and would break a lot of apps.

Perhaps you also block such intents with Magisk or something similar?

I’m not blocking this intents and i’m using the default app. Like you said this would break a lot of other apps but this is not the case. Any other suggetions?

I have OnePlus (Android 11) and Cryptomator (paid) in use; however, every time I try to create a new vault on Local Storage, it says “No file manager found that supports opening directories”

In order to solve this problem, I have re-installed google’s own file manager to no avail. OnePlus’s own file manager is also not helping the cause.

Anyone could help resolve this issue? Many thanks.

Hey and welcome to the Cryptomator Community :slightly_smiling_face:,

Hmm, that sounds quiet similar to Unable to Create a New Vault, "No additional locations available." error message

Are you using Oxygen 11.1.7.7 as well?
Do you have rooted the phone and some intent-blocking extensions installed?

Well, mine has Oxygen OS 11.0.8.1.GM21BA. No rooted phone and I am not sure what intent-blocking extensions actually are. :thinking:

If I’m not wrong Oxygen OS does provide a “Files” app, did you disabled this app?

While I have installed file managers from other providers and uninstalled them, the file manager that comes with this phone OnePlus cannot be uninstalled or disabled.

I think Files also comes pre-installed which is a Google product, and I just re-installed Files on my phone this morning as I was trying to resolve the issue. So far not working.

Add: I am starting to have this intuition that only OnePlus phones face this problem?

Yes, that is my impression too, we never got that reported from another OS than Oxygen…

Only Huawei MIUI devices do have some other strange behaviors as well, see Unable to add an existing local vault on Android using EMUI (Huawei) and On some MIUI devices the file picker does not return a file which results in no file being loaded into the vault.

We already thought about an workaround for those operating systems which we could implement File Selection Fails on MIUI & Some Android Flavors --> Implement in-app file browser · Issue #409 · cryptomator/android · GitHub by using an in-app file browser for those devices but this will take a while and we have currently a lot of other tasks pending and running :thinking:

Edit: What happens when you share a file with a vault in Cryptomator? Working with Vaults — Cryptomator 1.7.0 documentation

If I’m not wrong Oxygen OS does provide a “Files” app, did you disabled this app?

So, after randomly going through similar complaints regarding OnePlus on net, I found a post where a poster talked about “resetting app preferences”.

I realized while going through the apps that “Files” app was indeed disabled (not sure how even being disabled I was able to use OnePlus’s own File Manager as well as google’s Files). After resetting app preferences and rebooting, Cryptomator was able to create folders in Local Storage!

Thanks!

Thanks.

1 Like

Sharing files was possible even before I resetted the app preferences. It was just that Cryptomator was unable to create folders in Local Storage leaving me with cloud storages only.