Trouble creating vault on Mac External Hard Drive

Hi,

I have a 2015 Macbook Pro running the latest version of Catalina 10.15.5 and am running into an issue when trying to create a new vault.

My external hard drive (2TB Seagate) is split into 4 partitions

1. Windows NTFS - clone of my Windows laptop
  2. Windows NTFS - partition used for file storage
  3. Mac Extended Journaled Encrypted - Time Machine partition
  4. Mac APFS Encrypted - used for file storage

When I try to use my #4 APFS partition to create the vault, I get an error.

However, when I try use the #2 NTFS partition, there are no errors.

I’d really like to use my Mac external partition but if there is no solution, I am open to using my NTFS partition (just want to keep things separated and organized).

Is there a specific error? Maybe even something in the log file?

Yes, I am getting the following log error:

I also went ahead and checked that Java is up to date (Java 8 Update 251)

java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /Volumes/Mac External HD/Vault1
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.createDirectory(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createDirectory(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.addvaultwizard.CreateNewVaultLocationController.next(CreateNewVaultLocationController.java:121)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.reflect.Trampoline.invoke(MethodUtil.java:76)
	at jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor25.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.reflect.MethodUtil.invoke(MethodUtil.java:273)
	at com.sun.javafx.fxml.MethodHelper.invoke(MethodHelper.java:83)
	at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader$MethodHandler.invoke(FXMLLoader.java:1784)
	at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader$ControllerMethodEventHandler.handle(FXMLLoader.java:1670)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:86)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:234)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:49)
	at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:198)
	at javafx.scene.Node.fireEvent(Node.java:8885)
	at javafx.scene.control.Button.fire(Button.java:203)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.behavior.ButtonBehavior.mouseReleased(ButtonBehavior.java:206)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.inputmap.InputMap.handle(InputMap.java:274)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler$NormalEventHandlerRecord.handleBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:247)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:80)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:234)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:54)
	at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:198)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Scene.java:3890)
	at javafx.scene.Scene.processMouseEvent(Scene.java:1885)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$ScenePeerListener.mouseEvent(Scene.java:2618)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:409)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:299)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.lambda$handleMouseEvent$2(GlassViewEventHandler.java:447)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.runWithoutRenderLock(QuantumToolkit.java:412)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.handleMouseEvent(GlassViewEventHandler.java:446)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.handleMouseEvent(View.java:556)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.notifyMouse(View.java:942)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.mac.MacView.notifyMouse(MacView.java:127)

java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /Volumes/Mac External HD/Vault1

The log message already contains the error: A problem with the access rights. Cryptomator needs the rights to create, delete and modify files and directories on the targeted storage device to create a vault. If these are not present, this error is thrown.

Cryptomator ships its own mini-Java, therefore this should not matter :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply.

After checking with System Preferences > Security > “Files & Folders” AND “Full Disk Access” and adding Cryptomator without luck, I found my solution.

Hope this helps another Mac user :thinking:

Here are the steps I took:

1. Open Finder and locate the external partition with the issue
  2. Right-click > “Get Info”
  3. Scroll to the bottom under Sharing and make sure the checkbox is checked!
1 Like