SyncBack can't see the Cryptomator drive

I just installed Cryptomator today and started using it with OneDrive. All in all, it was a pretty seamless experience, apart from the “possible ransomware” notifications in OneDrive (3 times) - apparently it doesn’t like encrypted files.
Before installing it, my goal was to use SyncBackSE to back up certain folders in real time as files are modified. However, upon trying clicking the browse button when creating a profile, the Cryptomator drive is nowhere to be seen. In explorer it’s just another normal drive (not a network drive), of the same size as the partition the OneDrive folder is in, but in the SyncBackSE browse window, it’s gone. I can only see my local partitions and my mapped network drives.
Manually typing in the drive letter/folder name gives me an error - can’t find that folder.

I’m using the default - Dokany volume type.

One of the main reasons I decided to use Cryptomator was that I read comments of people using it specifically with SyncBack, so any help would really be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Do you run SyncBacl wit the same user as Cryptomator?

1 Like

After some more research, I figured out it’s the age old problem - SyncBackSE is running elevated and Cryptomator isn’t. Because the virtual drive was created by a non-elevated app, SyncBackSE can’t see or access it.
One thing that kept popping up was to edit the registry and add EnableLinkedConnections = 1, but as far as I can tell, that applies to network drives and after adding it, restarting etc. it did nothing for this situation.
Is there no other way apart from running Cryptomator as elevated (where I can’t see the drive in Explorer) or running SyncBack as non-elevated? I get the whole Windows security thing, but I’m the same user. I should be able to make an exception of some kind… (sorry, it got a little frustrating trying to find a solution).

The following article describes a workaround:

1 Like

Thanks. Removing --options CURRENT_SESSION from custom mount flags worked as intended.
I understand why this option isn’t removed by default and, after some more research, why “the same user” in Windows isn’t technically the same user - well, this part I only somewhat understand.
At least for people with computers that have multiple users, simply doing as I did, running Cryptomator as admin is a viable option. Together with setting a fixed drive letter, I was about to use Task Scheduler to make it run on startup as admin and just open Total Commander as admin whenever I needed direct access to the virtual drive, as Explorer didn’t see it.