Question of understanding: Cryptomator and pcloud

Do I understand correctly that my files encrypted with cryptomator are always synchronised locally? My intention was to store my files in pcloud only in the cloud.

That’s correct for the desktop app.
To access you vault directly online you can use this:

1 Like

However, pCloud works differently than Onedrive, for example. If I create the Cryptomator container directly in drive “pCloudDrive (P:)”, pCloud stores all data only online in the cloud. This is how pCloud works and has nothing to do with Cryptomator. If you want to have the data offline as well, you have to use the “sync” function in pCloud.

It is important that the pCloud desktop app is already started before Cryptomator starts, otherwise Cryptomator will of course not have access to its container, as it is not available offline.

1 Like

Thank you for this tip!

New cryptomator and pcloud user here. Can someone clarify whether I can use cryptomator on files I already have in pcloud and if so, how I do that? I do not sync my files, but use pcloud for off-device storage. Thank you.

If you have the pcloud client installed you probably have a drive letter P: mapped to pCloud Drive where your files are.

If you don’t want to sink The Vault you have locally to the cloud simply create a new Vault on your pcloud drive and put your files in there.

But if you create a vault on Pcloud, won’t that provider have access to your encrypted files?

No.

If you go into cryptomator and create a new vault on your P Drive then you will be creating a new vault that you will have to unlock before you put files into therefore everything will be encrypted and everything will also be on the server. The server won’t be able to read any of the files.

If you are on Windows the default will be to assign a new Drive letter to the open vault so you will put files into the open vault whatever Drive letter it is mounted on.

If the software creates an open-mounted Vault on Drive Q: then that is where you put the files that you want to encrypt on the server.

If you look at the vault through your P Drive all you will see are the encrypted files to confirm this.

1 Like

Thank-you very much! :innocent: