i have made a fault drive in my local Dropbox file share. The dropbox is synced with 2 other users (inside ~ 1 GB data). Monthly it has worked without problems. Now I suddenly have files that are corrupt or which can not be deleted. After deleting they comoe back.
Is there a tool with which one can repair the corrupt areas of the file system? Or is there a another solution ?
Hm, that would be really weird if it’s the exact same issue because the GitHub issue I’ve linked was specific to folders. As @overheadhunter has mentioned there, the problem is that Cryptomator fails because the folder it tries to delete is not empty.
If you can find any errors inside the log file, please let us know.
New error: many corrupt files.
I now have numerous PDF and .docx files which are defective and can no longer be opened.
But: In the same directory, there are files that are not corrupt !?
I think I now have to stop using Cryptormator. There is the risk of losing more files.
Is it known when the new version will fix the bug? When do you release the new version?
Again in the log:
d-18] WARN o.c.cryptofs.CryptoDirectoryStream - Broken directory file C:\Daten\Dropbox… g\d\DM\H72E6TSL2UCPQMYRUWUSQ5KTQ57LDY does not exist.
I have the same problem! Sometimes I cannot remove/delete files. This occours after removing a directory where some files are still left and cannot be removed.
So I stopped using Cryptomator, hopefully this things can be fixed somewhere in the future.
I have found out that the files where the Filename contains a " ; " which leads to these files become corrupt after a time of xx. I do not know how long (xx) it takes. First I could open the files without problems again and again. Suddenly, they were corrupt and could not be deleted. I am now also waiting for the new version without this bug.
Yup. I’m coming in to say the same thing here. I took another look at Cryptomator for keeping my files encrypted, I was considering how I can use this again on a more day-to-day level with a more integrated setup (basically how can I use this all the time, instead of just every now and then).
Welp, thankfully I did some test transfers on like 50GBs of data. This data transfer has a good distribution of all sorts of file types; videos, images, big and small files alike.
I have a bunch of files that were randomly corrupted during the copy transfer. These files and folders are also unable to be deleted when I lock and re-unlock Cryptomator.
Security is one thing. But there is no point in security if you obliterate your own files… what about files that are as important as your passphrase keys? Pretty much never going to use this again, and will also recommend anyone I talk to and know to never touch this program for they will eventually have precious data destroyed because of this program.
Thanks for making this post @CrypotBFI and confirming my experience.
I’m only a few days into using Cryptomator and unfortunately, I’m having data corruption issues as well.
I was only just getting started setting up two initial vaults, I was copying in very basic office documents and jpgs when I started receiving directory and file location errors. One vault is now corrupted, not allowing me access to move/rename/copy/open anything at all. I have a few directories that have somehow been renamed and Windows now displays the directory names in Chinese.
Obviously this is beyond a simple bug I could overlook.
I am also an new Cryptomator user and experiencing same behaviour. At the moment only 3 files have been identified as corrupted (I can’t delete them file is declared as “not found”, and another has special / Chinese charaters)
I noticed this corruption when trying to sync the vault content towards a USB backup key, with FreeFileSync, which I am using for a while without any issue.
The final log from the sync says 3 files could not been copied / moved.
Even though this has nothing to do with the original question, I’d like to add some info regarding the “weird special characters”.
[…] We’ve done some extended testing and we believe that “long paths” are the issue. We don’t know the threshold and we don’t know if this is a new issue in Windows 10 (with some update) or if it has been like that for a long time.
We were able to reproduce the issue with a “regular” WebDAV server like webdavserver.com. So it’s definitely a bug in Windows Explorer’s WebDAV client.
Another workaround would be to shorten your paths since Windows doesn’t deal with them well. Ultimately, this can only be fixed by Microsoft or at the latest when we switch to another filesystem with Cryptomator 1.4.0.