Lock-up when running 1.5.8 on Linux (comment)

When running 1.5.8 on Linux I received this dialog:

“Unlock Login Dialog”

I dismissed it, and CM came up. But when I attempted to select and use a CM vault I got the dialog again, but this time was not able to dismiss it. It blocked all key strokes, effectively locking up my entire computer. Fortunately, I was able to drop to a new terminal with Ctl-Alt-F1 and then use HTOP to kill the cryptomator application.

This message never occurred with CM 1.4.3. It’s a message that people got a lot with Chrome in 2012, but didn’t freeze their system. AFAIK, I’ve never set up login keyrings. Despite the name, the login keyring doesn’t actually contain my login information. Perhaps on other systems it does. In the end I deleted the ~/.local/share/keyrings directory (actually just moved it) and killed the process gnome-keyring-d . After that I could run CM 1.5.8. But I noticed that it no longer offers to remember the password for me. But it still does on CM 1.5.8 on Windows. So I’m guessing that the new CM 1.5.8 is attempting to use the login keyring to store passwords. My feeling is that it should be possible to dismiss (cancel) the “Unlock Login Keyring” dialog without being frozen out of your entire system. I was lucky enough to have a Linux expert around, but others may not be that fortunate. I’m probably not the only person who doesn’t have keyrings set up, or who set it up once and never needed it again.

Edit: I’ve now managed to recreate a functional login keyring. However, CM still does not offer me the ability to save my vault password. Is this a known problem/feature in CM for Linux?

Thanks!

We had a similar issue, see https://github.com/cryptomator/cryptomator/issues/1268. Is it the same?

Another thread regarding this problem is After the update to Cryptomator 1.5.6, Lubuntu 18.04.4 LTS asks for the keyring.

That was a long thread. It’s unclear to me if changes will be made. It’s a bit presumptuous to assume that everyone is actively using the keychain. I don’t think I ever set up a keychain, but if I did then it was something that was demanded during installation before I had even set up a login password. Possibly some installations create a default keychain and password, and forget to tell the user about it. So the keychain is guarded by a password the user doesn’t know.

It would never occur to me to let it set 5 minutes. One expects that screens and dialogs will respond instantly. And one never expects that a single app will block all activity on all screens and all work areas.

In the historic problem with Chrome, users could cancel twice and then run the browser. The problem for them was one of mere annoyance – it didn’t block the entire machine.

But I digress.

What I did was to move the login keychain from the local keychain directory. Then create (in seahorse) a new keychain called login, and give a password the same as the login password. Now when it prompts me, I can open provide a password and move on. And it appears that CM now allows me to save passwords, though possibly in a different GUI place than in the Windows version (I’d have to check).

Thanks!