Keepass cannot save it database file

hi all,

i just upgrade my windows cryptomator to version 1.4.13 to solved slow write issue on my vault.
however every time i tried to save any changes on my keepass database, i got an error “cannot create a file when that file already exists”

i also have the same issue when i tried to save a new image from FastStone it also gave me an error " already exists. Do you want to repalce it?"

any workaround for this issue?

1 Like

You should update Dokany to version 1.3.1000:

We had already a report of this on our bug tracker, seems like dokany is not downward compatible ):

3 Likes

hi infeo,

thank you, your information help me to solved my issue.

Yeah, thanks, that helped.

Is there a simple way of updating Dokan without deinstalling? I am the kind of Windows User who is used to klick the .exe file and the installer does all the necessary work.

Thanks alot!

@Myrki: Unfortunately not. We already asked for this feature at the dokany site (see here), but until know nobody find the time to answer :sob:

But as I already said it in the linked issue:

I advise against storing an already password secured keepass file inside a cryptomator vault since you the benefits do not outweigh the risks and lack of convinience.

I just received this helpfull advise from the Keepass community:

Uncheck Use file transactions for writing databases in Tools>Options>Advanced(tab)>File Input/Output Connections

btw - I absolutly disagree with this:

I advise against storing an already password secured keepass file inside a cryptomator vault

It is not Cryptomator’s business to distinguish between already encrypted and unencrypted files!

Here’s the key question re: this advice:

When storing an encrypted password database file directly in a cloud folder (outside the Cryptomator virtual drive), AND opening the database from within the cloud folder on the user’s device, is it possible for the cloud provider to intercept the database password?

No. The basic steps of execution are:

1. Load an encrypted file into your program
  2. Enter key for decryption
  3. Within this program (resp. its allocated memory) decrypt the file with the key

Of course another thing would be if at no time there is a local copy of the file on your computer. Then you would have to send your key to the server to encrypt the file.

As a side note: Microsofts OneDrive FilesOnDemand or Googles FileStream are no example for the latter one, since you download the file if needed.