Files beeing duplicated dozens of times when saving (macOS)

I work on files in GoogleDrive, OneDrive and pCloud. Now I’ve installed the amazing Cryptomator app (and MacFuse) to have an extra layer of security. Thank you for your efforts creating and maintaining this for us!

The problem I have: everytime I edit a file in Word, Pages or a different type of office app, and it’s beeing saved, a duplicate appears. During a day of work up to a hundred copies can be created this way (see screen shot attached). You can guess how tedious it is deleting them all manually.

Note, it rarely happens inside of Google Drive and OneDrive, but with pCloud it happens all the time.

Unfortunately, I havn’t been able to find a solution yet. I hope someone can help or has an idea :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Nobody? :frowning: Am I the only one with this problem?

To be honest, I’ve never seen anything like this and I am pretty sure cryptomator does not generate files with this kind of suffix. When there are sync conflicts, the files are renamed with a (Conflict XYZ) at the end. So from my point of view it looks like an other app is generating all these files.

The Microsoft Office apps create these folders/files as they are edited. It’s their access pattern. The question is, and I don’t have an answer at the moment, why these files aren’t cleaned up after editing on your device :thinking:

Hi Nebukad,

I had the same problems as you! Did you find a solution to this?

Thanks in advance, Lexy

Hi Lexy,

unfortunately, I could only fix this by working on documents, which are not located inside of a cryptomator-mounted cloud folder. Thus, dragging them out of the cloud folder to my local hard drive, working on them and reupploading them afterwards.

It seems like working on documents (which are located in cloud folders) “through” Cryptomator is generally buggy. See here and here for example.

Have you tried changing the volume type from FUSE-T to WebDAV or FUSE?

If you find a solution, please let us know :wink: