Failed to save 'filename.txt'

Hello All,

Normally I have my CM vault on my local machine, then manually copy it (occasionally) to my NAS. I use this method on between one and three machines at home.

Sad, I know. I decided to leave the vault on the NAS so all changes were captured and it seemed to work fine on the MAC and my desktop while I was testing Zorin OS 15.2, but on my current daily machine (Pop OS! 20.4) I get the following error.

Failed to save 'filename.txt': Unable to write file '/home/username/.local/share/Cryptomator/mnt/randomstring/super-secure-secrets/filename.txt' (Unknown (FileSystemError): Error: EIO: i/o error, open '/home/username/.local/share/Cryptomator/mnt/randomstring/super-secure-secrets/filename.txt')

The whole process is so broken that even if I copy the file from the unlocked vault, I cannot edit or even open the file. The file permissions only show “-rwx------” and if I manually change the security on the file I can edit just fine.

However, I still cannot copy the files back to the vault as I will get the above error message.

Any thoughts for a fix that doesn’t require manually updating permissions every time?

Thanks.

Also, here is the info from a fresh log…

Side Note: It bothers me that there is a full breakdown of the folder structure and filenames in a plaintext log. That seems oddly un-private and un-secure.

I found sizeable (1mb or so) logs in the folder before I enabled logging… seems to me this level of detail isn’t needed in a simple log file; or do I just not know enough about what I’m talking about?

15:17:56.226 [main] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Starting Cryptomator 1.5.6 on Linux 5.4.0-7634-generic (amd64)
15:17:56.227 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.logging.DebugMode - Debug mode enabled
15:17:56.227 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.launcher.IpcFactory - [Client] Failed to connect.
15:17:56.227 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.launcher.IpcFactory - [Client] Failed to connect.
15:17:56.256 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.launcher.IpcFactory - [Server] Wrote IPC port 34381 to /home/username/.config/Cryptomator/ipcPort.bin
15:17:56.257 [main] DEBUG o.c.launcher.IpcProtocolImpl - Received launch args: 
15:17:56.257 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Did not find running application instance. Launching GUI...
15:17:56.263 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.CommonsModule - Starting App Background Thread 001
15:17:56.263 [App Background Thread 001] DEBUG o.c.ui.launcher.FxApplicationStarter - Starting JavaFX runtime...
15:17:56.267 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.CommonsModule - Starting App Background Thread 002
15:17:56.508 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.ui.launcher.FxApplicationStarter - JavaFX Runtime started.
15:17:56.929 [JavaFX Application Thread] TRACE o.cryptomator.ui.fxapp.FxApplication - FxApplication.start()
15:17:57.302 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG org.cryptomator.ui.common.FontLoader - Loaded family: Font Awesome 5 Free Solid
15:17:57.374 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.c.u.m.MainWindowTitleController - init MainWindowTitleController
15:17:57.463 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.c.u.m.MainWindowController - init MainWindowController
15:17:57.776 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.cryptomator.ui.fxapp.FxApplication - Showing MainWindow
15:18:00.593 [JavaFX Application Thread] WARN  o.c.keychain.KeychainManager - LOAD
15:18:34.670 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.CommonsModule - Starting App Background Thread 003
15:18:34.670 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.cryptomator.ui.fxapp.FxApplication - Showing UnlockWindow for locker
15:18:34.672 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.c.common.vaults.VaultStats - stop recording stats
15:18:34.674 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.c.ui.launcher.AppLifecycleListener - Allow quitting without prompt: false
15:18:44.629 [JavaFX Application Thread] TRACE o.c.ui.unlock.UnlockController - UnlockController.unlock()
15:18:44.704 [App Background Thread 003] DEBUG o.cryptomator.cryptofs.ReadonlyFlag - Vault opened for read and write.
15:18:44.965 [App Background Thread 003] DEBUG o.c.common.vaults.FuseVolume - Successfully created mount point: /home/username/.local/share/Cryptomator/mnt/randomstring

>>> long series of very detailed folder and filename information ...?!?!?!! Why??
This seems very bothersom to me that it's all out in the open in plaintext logs!

15:18:48.427 [Thread-688] TRACE o.c.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyAdapter - getattr /health/.hidden failed, node not found
15:20:20.785 [DBus Worker Thread-2] INFO  o.f.secret.handlers.SignalHandler - Collection.ItemCreated: /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/login/1

This is due to the fact you enabled debug mode. Without it, it would not be logged. On our issue tracker are two tickets addressing this, see Add Warning/Indicator if debug mode is enabled · Issue #1065 · cryptomator/cryptomator · GitHub and Privacy issue with posted log-files · Issue #798 · cryptomator/cryptomator · GitHub.

Regarding the actual problem: How is your NAS integrated into the filesystem? If you use (maybe under the hood) gvfs, then this is a known bug, see

For a workaround, see Unable to unlock vault on a gvfs mounted WebDAV share