Error unlocking vault included via Samba: "FuseException"

Jumping in here as I’ve hit the same or a similar problem in Linux.

I’d like to create an encrypted folder on a backup server on my home network, accessible from a PC on the same network. Both are running Mint 20.04 and utilise SAMBA for the file sharing.

From the PC I encrypted the relevant file on the server’s hard-drive into a folder ‘Crypt’ and point Cryptomator to an empty folder ‘Vault’ on the same drive for unlocking. However when I try to unlock ‘Crypt’ from the PC I get the following error report:

org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Volume$VolumeException: Unable to mount Filesystem
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.mount(FuseVolume.java:54)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.mount(FuseVolume.java:41)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:151)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:100)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:81)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:44)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.FuseMountException: ru.serce.jnrfuse.FuseException: Unable to mount FS
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.AbstractMounter.mount(AbstractMounter.java:46)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.Mounter.mount(Mounter.java:15)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.mount(FuseVolume.java:52)
	... 12 more
Caused by: ru.serce.jnrfuse.FuseException: Unable to mount FS
	at ru.serce.jnrfuse.AbstractFuseFS.mount(AbstractFuseFS.java:293)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.AbstractMounter.lambda$mount$0(AbstractMounter.java:26)
	... 1 more
Caused by: ru.serce.jnrfuse.FuseException: Unable to mount FS, return code = 1
	at ru.serce.jnrfuse.AbstractFuseFS.mount(AbstractFuseFS.java:289)
	... 2 more

I’m afraid that all goes over my head.

I did try unlocking the ‘Crypt’ folder on the server into a folder on the PC, but although this correctly displays all the folders in the encrypted file they are all empty!

It would by very useful if I could access the encrypted folder from my laptop via VPN when I’m on the road rather than having to synchronise encrypted folders on the laptop, PC and backup.

Sorry if I’m just making a newbie’s error.

Welcome to the Cryptomator Community :slightly_smiling_face: ,

i moved your post to its own topic, since its about Linux, Samba and unlocking (as opposed to windows and vault creation).

To clear things up a little, let’s start with wording: You mention an “encrypted file”, but it is not clear what this should be.
Cryptomator manages vaults. A vault is in the end just a directory containing encrypted files in your filesystem. It can be unlocked and mounted to a _ mount point_ (another point in your filesystem) , from where you can access the vault content.

Regarding your problem: Are you sure, you placed the files to be encrypted at the right location (aka not the vault storage location, but somewhere under the mount point)?