Directory Health check shows many warnings after upgrade to 1.6.15

Hi

After upgrading to Cryptomator 1.6.15 from 1.6.11 on Windows 10, on an existing vault, i used health check.

For nearly all directories in the vault (a few thousand), the Directory Check shows:

WARN - Directory ID backup for directory 35\F4MNUXY4EUQL777AUKY2VLWIZI7VY4 is missing.

A few directories (tens) have no warning. Rest of checks is ok, and the vault seems safe.

I understand that this is easy to fix using the fix button (which is a bit of a hassle for so many dirs) and have read the manual about the backup dir functionality.

Question: Is this the intended behavior?

Explanation: I would expect that with the first Cryptomator release which saves the (new) dirid.c9r files, these would be generated for the whole vault. Or can it be that this done only -say- by 1.15.12 orso and am i missing it because of the upgrade from .11 to 15?

See [1.6.15+] Many warnings in Health Check: Missing id

Thank you infeo, for your careful write-up following my post. For the casual readers of this post i’ll answer my own questions:

• Is this the intended behavior?

Yes. Starting with release 1.6.9 newly created directories receive a backup dirid.c9r file. This fact only turned up after the 1.6.15 release, which contains an extended health check.

• I would expect that with the first Cryptomator release which saves the (new) dirid.c9r files, these would be generated for the whole vault.

The designers decided against it:
“Modifying vault structure without a migration is dangerous, additionally it would cause a lot of user concern when their cloud sync starts running even though they just browsed the vault content.”

Also note (again) that the missing dirid’s are a resilience feature. Nice to have, if not: no problem.

2 Likes