Cryptomator repeatedly losing access to more and more vaults

I’ve now permanently lost access to my main Cryptomator vault (cloud). Another cloud vault I created recently and had tested out (worked fine) I’ve also now lost access to. My passwords are saved in a secure PW manager. I’ve tried uninstalling & re-installing. Nothing works.

Worse, now CM isn’t letting me sign into my own vaults after updating to the latest version. I enter passwords to “Migrate Vault” as instructed, but CM won’t accept the passwords. If it matters, this is one error message I got:

org.cryptomator.cryptolib.api.UnsupportedVaultFormatException: Tried to open vault of version 999, but can only handle version 7
	at org.cryptomator.cryptolib.v1.CryptorProviderImpl.createFromKeyFile(CryptorProviderImpl.java:117)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptolib.v1.CryptorProviderImpl.createFromKeyFile(CryptorProviderImpl.java:108)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptolib.v1.CryptorProviderImpl.createFromKeyFile(CryptorProviderImpl.java:40)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule.provideCryptor(CryptoFileSystemModule.java:41)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.provideCryptor(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:56)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.get(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:43)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.get(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:11)
	at dagger.internal.DoubleCheck.get(DoubleCheck.java:47)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:110)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:16)
	at dagger.internal.DoubleCheck.get(DoubleCheck.java:47)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent$CryptoFileSystemComponentImpl.cryptoFileSystem(DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent.java:337)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.lambda$create$0(CryptoFileSystems.java:47)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.compute(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:40)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:301)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:93)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:134)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.createCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:130)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:147)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:100)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:81)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:44)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Did you really update Cryptomator to the latest version?

Says “Current Version 1.63. Check for updates automatically.” I’ve since discovered other very strange behaviors. The vault I was able to access, I can’t access since the update. And one of the ones I couldn’t access before is now intermittently accessible. I’m a huge supporter of open-source software and contribute regularly via donations. But encryption software that’s unreliable is far, far too great a threat. Protected data you can’t access is worthless. Back to hunting for reliable, open source encryption software.

By the way, while I love the idea of privacy being a human right and affordable for everyone, I’d be willing to pay a large fee for a reliable product–such a large fee as to subsidize privacy packages for people who can’t afford to pay for it. Developers should be compensated for their time, but the product, especially one as critical as this, must be reliable.

I must say that I’m extremely puzzled by this. As far as I know, the error message you’ve posted can only happen with Cryptomator 1.5.x. It happens if you have upgraded the vault to a newer format with Cryptomator 1.6.x and tried to open it afterwards with Cryptomator 1.5.x. Is that somehow possible? Do you have multiple versions of Cryptomator installed?

No, I don’t have multiple versions of CM installed. It’s very easy to check. CM is in my app folder and I can confirm versions there and in Finder. Moreover, if I tried to install a second version of CM, my computer wouldn’t because it requires I close and replace the old version with the new version. I’m reading online that there seems to be incompatibility with new-ish Mac’s. It’s frightening facing being locked out of all my most critical files. I’d even be willing to get a Linux machine to have reliable access to my encrypted files.

Could it be possible that 1 of your several devices has an older version of CM, whose access corrupted the vault as the data has been upgraded already by new version of CM on another device?

I don’t believe so. CM has already been updated on all the other computers I use. Besides, if this were possible, it could mean that if a CM user is away from home where other machines are synced to CM, and in the meantime there’s an update, to access vaults (as we’re prompted to do) on the machine they have with them, this corruption could happen. That doesn’t seem a robust security access system to me.

Never heard of this happening. If you try to open a vault with a app version that is too old for the vault, an error is thrown. That’s exactly what the logfile says:

org.cryptomator.cryptolib.api.UnsupportedVaultFormatException: Tried to open vault of version 999, but can only handle version 7

Vault Version 999 is the “Version” that comes with Cryptomator 1.6.0.
The question here is: why does the app think it is a version 1.5.x, when it tries to open the vault, but shows Version 1.6.3 in the update tab.

Does the affected vault have a file named vault.cryptomator? If yes, does its contents (can be opened with a simple text editor) look something like this?

eyJraWQiOiJtYXN0ZXJrZXlmaWxlOm1hc3RlcmtleS5jcnlwdG9tYXRvciIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCIsImFsZyI6IkhTMjU2In0

Exactly the same this morning. newbie install, one desktop w10 one iphone CM2 2.4.3 from appstore.

Besides appstore is confusing - CM2 for free and another CM for $11.99? (Happy to pay for a reliable solution, still testing now and to be honest a bit surprised…)

Thanks ahead!

If you really encounter the same error message, could you please check if the affected vault has a file named vault.cryptomator?

Recently, I noticed in a different support case that there was a bug in Cyberduck / Mountain Duck, which didn’t create the aforementioned file. It was fixed in February 2022 though.

Yeah, we will remove the “old” app this year. We know that it causes some confusion at the moment but we wanted to have a smooth transition. Cryptomator 2 is the way to go.