Can't upload any files to vaults (error splicing file)

I’m on Ubuntu 22.04 with Kernel 5.15.0-58-generic.

I reinstalled and encrypted my Ubuntu installation with ZFS and set up everything they way I used to. So I set the mount point of my two vaults to Desktop and I added “-oallow_other” to my mount flags so that my Plex Media Server could acces the vaults. The vaults location - Google Drive - is mounted with rClone.

For some reason I am not able to upload anything into either of my two vaults. I always get this error

Error splicing file: Input/output error

Weirdly enough the file still copies to the vault (I checked on another device) but it is always corrupted and 0KB large. Deleting it works. Copy files from my Vault to my local machine works.

I am super confused since I obviously have read and write permissions and something is happening when trying to upload something. But like I said it’s always a broken 0KB file that ends up on the vault.

Remounting Google Drive or Cryptomator didn’t work. Neither did a restart or complete fresh install of Ubuntu. It also doesn’t matter if the file is 10GB or 10KB large.

Does anyone have an idea what to do? :confused:

Can no one help? :frowning: I am researching like crazy but cannot find a solution

Seriously, no one? :sob: :sob: :sob:

i’m not particularly savvy with Linux. But one thing I have learned is that the permission restrictions associated with flatpak can interfere with proper functioning of cryptomator.

So if you’re using flatpak version of cryptomator, then maybe try either adjusting cryptomator flatpak’s permissions using flatseal, or else just try out running cryptomator from an appimage.

it may not help but that’s all i can think of.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip! Unfortunately I am not using flatpak but ppa so it’s not that :confused:

Does anyone from @staff have an idea? My server is not running anymore because of this issue and no one seems to be able to help me :frowning: I did fresh installs with ZFS with encryption, LVM without and witch encryption, nothing helps.

Is this reproducible with a vault outside of a Google Drive mounted storage?

What happens when you copy a file into the Google Drive mounted storage without Cryptomator being involved?

Hey, thanks for your reply!

Is this reproducible with a vault outside of a Google Drive mounted storage?"

Do you mean if the same problem occurs with a vault on OneDrive for instance? If that’s what you mean, I can try it out!

What happens when you copy a file into the Google Drive mounted storage without Cryptomator being involved?

Then the file uploads to Google Drive with no problem whatsoever.

This seems like “bad advice” but have you tried to switch from FUSE to WebDAV? Just curious if the virtual drive technology has something to do with it (or if it’s really the underlying file system that refuses to write). You can change it in the Cryptomator settings under “Virtual Drive”.

@Idontknowman reported via email that the issue was resolved after updating to Ubuntu 22.10.

Can no one help? I am on EndeavourOS and facing the same issue. Some of my photos cannot be opened now. I have to reupload my photos to my cryptomator vault. :frowning_face:

I’m encountering the same problem on Linux Mint 21.2 (Victoria), when trying to upload photos. Uploading small .txt or .md files works fine.

I observed something strange that might help finding the issue: When I copy an image to my vault and try to open it, it roughly doubles in file size (e.g. an 64,3KiB jpg becomes an 128,3KiB jpg after uploading it)