Cannot open my vault; password seemes incorrect, but it is not

Goog morning!

I have a question about a problem ragarding my encryped volumes.
My laptop has crashed, but I managed tot save almost all my data. My encrypted volumes are on an external HDD, so I did not worry.
But: This week I bought a new laptop and began installing the software that I need, including Cryptomator. And, as a satisfied user, I donated when $10.- :slightly_smiling_face:
A few minutes ago I wanted to open my encryped volume, but Cryptomator first said it could not succeed and that I could look into the logfile. But I cannot find any log file in Cryptomator.
At the second attempt (and many attempts after that, :thinking: , Cryptomator says the password is incorrect. And I am 100% sure I use the correct password (I stored it in a safe place)
This problem occures with both my encrypted volumes. (Directories on my external HDD)

There is one thing that I have to mention: As user on my new laptop I am not the original owner of the files on my external HDD. I had to add myself (with admin-rights) as the owner of this external HDD. I did that on the highest level of the disk + all the levels beneith. But when checking the file “masterkey.cryptomator” I still was not the owner, so I took over the ownership via the properties of this file by adding myself again and giving myself full rights.
But I still cannot open / decrypt my volumes with Cryptomator.

How can I resolve this problem?

Looking forward to your reply.

Whith kind regards,
Anton van der Gaag
The Netherlands

What operating system and version are you using?

“Wrong password” and “error unlocking, see log” are two mutually exclusive messages. What did you do in order to get which message?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

My OS is Windows 10 Home, build 17134.590

I got the first message “error unlocking” when trying to open my vault for the first time.
The second message “Wrong password” I got the second, third and fourth time trying to open my vault.

After that, I un-installed Cryptomator and re-installed an older version (1.3.3-x64).
This time I did not get the “wrong password”-message, but only the “error unlocking”-message.

I hope you can help me.

Kind regards,
Anton

Please copy any error message you find from the latest log file (see linked article above on where to find the log), right after attempting to unlock with 1.3.3 and 1.4.6.

Hi Sebastian,

Sorry for the delay. I was away for e few days.
Yesterdag I managed to access both my Vaults! I can not reproduce exactly what I did, but I created an Admin-account on my laptop, added this Admin-account as owner of the entire external HDD, and added both the Admin and myself as users with “Full rights” on the Root and every map and files below.
And after that I could open both my Vaults and had access to all my maps and files.

Regarding the log-file: I did not realise that Cryptomator over-writes this file bow and then (not sure exactly when). See below for the copy of this log I just made, but I see noo errors in it. So, to my regret I cannot send you the original log-file because I did not save it.

Nevertheless I want to thank you for your replies and your suggestions. I appreciate that a lot! Maybe we talk to eachother some day.

Thanks again!
Anton

15:44:47.997 [main] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Starting Cryptomator 1.3.3 on Windows 10 10.0 (amd64)
15:44:48.363 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.launcher.MainApplication - JavaFX application started.
15:44:48.422 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.common.settings.SettingsProvider - Settings loaded from C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Roaming\Cryptomator\settings.json
15:44:48.704 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.cryptomator.jni.JniModule - loaded WinFunctions.dll
15:44:48.756 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.util.log - Logging initialized @-1ms to org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.Slf4jLog
15:44:48.794 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.frontend.webdav.WebDavServer - Binding server socket to 127.0.0.1:42427
15:44:48.803 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.e.jetty.server.AbstractConnector - Started ServerConnector@2caedf97{HTTP/1.1,[http/1.1]}{127.0.0.1:42427}
15:44:49.200 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.c.ui.controllers.WelcomeController - Current version: 1.3.3, lastest version: 1.4.6
15:44:50.898 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.k.WindowsProtectedKeychainAccess - Creating new keychain at path C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Roaming\Cryptomator\keychain.json
15:45:01.231 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server - jetty-9.4.7.v20170914
15:45:01.248 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.e.j.server.handler.ContextHandler - Started o.e.j.s.ServletContextHandler@70f6bb5f{/,null,AVAILABLE}
15:45:01.248 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server - Started @-1ms
15:45:01.248 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.c.frontend.webdav.WebDavServer - WebDavServer started.
15:45:01.273 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.session - DefaultSessionIdManager workerName=node0
15:45:01.274 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.session - No SessionScavenger set, using defaults
15:45:01.274 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.session - Scavenging every 660000ms
15:45:01.278 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.a.j.w.server.AbstractWebdavServlet - authenticate-header = Basic realm="Jackrabbit Webdav Server"
15:45:01.279 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.a.j.w.server.AbstractWebdavServlet - csrf-protection = null
15:45:01.279 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.a.j.w.server.AbstractWebdavServlet - createAbsoluteURI = true
15:45:01.279 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.e.j.server.handler.ContextHandler - Started o.e.j.s.ServletContextHandler@7ef93de{/ehB-6sD5Sa0K/_Enigma,null,AVAILABLE}
15:45:01.279 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.c.f.w.s.WebDavServletController - WebDavServlet started: /ehB-6sD5Sa0K/_Enigma
15:45:01.309 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.c.f.w.s.WebDavServletController - Mounting http://cryptomator-vault:42427/ehB-6sD5Sa0K/_Enigma using org.cryptomator.frontend.webdav.mount.WindowsMounter
15:46:44.059 [Server thread 003] INFO  o.c.c.common.ReseedingSecureRandom - Seeding CSPRNG with 55 bytes...
15:46:44.062 [Server thread 003] INFO  o.c.c.common.ReseedingSecureRandom - Seeded CSPRNG.
16:05:58.985 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.k.WindowsProtectedKeychainAccess - Creating new keychain at path C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Roaming\Cryptomator\keychain.json
16:06:16.713 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.k.WindowsProtectedKeychainAccess - Creating new keychain at path C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Roaming\Cryptomator\keychain.json
16:08:35.341 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.k.WindowsProtectedKeychainAccess - Creating new keychain at path C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Roaming\Cryptomator\keychain.json
16:09:42.395 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.e.j.server.handler.ContextHandler - Stopped o.e.j.s.ServletContextHandler@7ef93de{/ehB-6sD5Sa0K/_Enigma,null,UNAVAILABLE}
16:09:42.396 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.f.w.s.WebDavServletController - WebDavServlet stopped: /ehB-6sD5Sa0K/_Enigma
16:09:42.426 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.k.WindowsProtectedKeychainAccess - Creating new keychain at path C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Roaming\Cryptomator\keychain.json
16:09:44.048 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.launcher.MainApplication - JavaFX application stopped.
16:09:44.058 [Thread-1] INFO  o.c.launcher.CleanShutdownPerformer - Goodbye.

I have the same experience sometimes.
Solution:
open a Notepad and type your password
do NOT close password with an ENTER
just type password without
select password and Copy / Paste into password field Cryptomator
Click on Unlock Vault.

This is MY solution.

I also love Cryptomator and donated :slight_smile:

Hm interesting, maybe there is indeed something wrong with “ENTER”. We have changed how control characters are handled by the password field in 1.4.3. Since version 1.4.6 there is a warning indicator if such control sequences are contained in the password, however this doesn’t seem to work on Windows yet. :see_no_evil:

We will do some more experiments with control characters.

1 Like

I am happy with this answer . Now I understand also why some Websites react on autotype from KeePass and other websites don’t.

That’s afcourse the last contron char ( ) from Password.

Thanks mate.
I think if last char of PW = “ENTER” then this is the acknowledge key for “unlock vault” otherwise just remove this from Password string and users have to click on “unlock vault” manually.

Interresting “feature”.

Please inform me when I can test the “new” input validation …

Note:
What is the max password length for Cryptomater and why ?

No password maximum length

I’m having the same problem. It mainly happens with Windows 10. If I try long enough or restart my computer it seems to finally accept the password. Sometimes, if I switch between WebDAV and Dokany this helps too. This seems like a new issue with the latest release 1.4.6 (I didn’t notice it before with previous versions).