WinFSP Basic Questions

Hi,
I’m not a technologist so some of these concepts are confusing to me. Hoping someone can answer some general / basic questions for me.

I am using Cryptomator 1.7.3 on Windows 11

1. What is the difference between WinFSP vs WinFSP (Local Drive).
  2. I do use an app SyncBackPro (which uses admin privileges) and it says I need to “mount to a directory if using WinFsp (Local Drive)” , but I am not sure what that means.

Can anyone help out?

Thanks,

1 Like

With the first your vault is integrated into Windows as network drive, wich allows Windows to do some performance tweaks. You should only switch to the local drive, if needed.

We updated our docs to explain volume type, WinFsp and “mounting” more. See Volume Types — Cryptomator 1.7.0 documentation

@scadav5 Did you get Syncback to work with Cryptomator? I have the same issue you described.

I’ve read and followed (as best I can) the instructions from others, but still no go for me. I got as far as Syncback seeing the vault, but it couldn’t actually read any of the files in it.

Hi,
Yes, I did get it to work. Here is what I did:

1. Upgraded to 1.7.3

2. Used Volume Type WinFsp

3. Used default mount flags

4. At this point, when I unlock my vault I have drive letters assigned to each of my vaults

5. When I am using windows on a day-to-day basis I just navigate inside my drive letters to find the files that I am looking for. However, for Syncback, I needed to use the UNC that windows shows. For example: \cryptomator-vault\job_data

6. Here is what is looks like inside of Syncback:

Hope that helps

1 Like

@scadav5 Thanks so much for the time you put into your reply. The detail is much appreciated.

The good news is that what you’ve written has confirmed I followed instructions correctly. The bad news is that something is failing for me on step 6. When I try to use the UNC path, I’m prompted for a username and password and nothing I’ve tried has worked. I’ll have to dig into that step a little more I guess…

@scadav5 @malexan While i really appreciate good instructions, i have bad news for this manual. With the next Cryptomator release, this won’t work anymore, because for fixing bug Unlock same name vault failed · Issue #2801 · cryptomator/cryptomator · GitHub, we had to adjust the UNC-Path, such that you cannot access it anymore. We already updated our documentation.

We are currently investigating how we can bring this feature back, but until then i suggest to switch to volume type “WinFsp (Local Drive)”:

Afterwards, you can access the vault content in the specified directory.

@infeo Thanks for the heads up about what’s coming.

What I’ve found with WinFSP Local is that I can get the mapping to a folder to be visible via Syncback Pro (i.e. I can see the folder listing when setting up the profile), but when I actually go to start the synchronization, Syncback Pro reports “Attempting to prepare…” and then eventual reports “The drive :\ does not exist!”

I can see the mapped folder from Explorer. I was able to copy a file as well.

@infeo I’ve had some success with WinFSP Local. There’s an oddity that was preventing things from working for me, but I seem to have found a workaround.

Once the vault is mounted to a folder, I can use Syncback to sync with it as long as I start from a sub-folder in the vault. I can’t sync the vault at it’s root. For example:

dir1/ sync to vault/ ← Syncback fails
dir1/ sync to vault/dir1/ ← Syncback works

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but perhaps those using the current WinFSP (not local) method that is going away in a future release will find the discussion useful.

1 Like

:frowning: It took me so long to figure out my current configuration. I just got off of 1.6.5 w/Dokany. Anyway thanks for the heads up.

BTW … this is why I started this thread in the first place. I’m not a very strong IT guy, I just played around with configurations to get it to work. I don’t really understand the difference between WinFSP vs WinFSP (Local Drive). In layman terms, I’d love to understand what the “Local Drive” part means.

1 Like