Where to download the required JDK (for CLI, Sanitizer, Cracker, ...)

Out of curiosity I tried this with my test vault. But I was not able to run this.
The script output was an error message, that my java runtime was is too old.

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/cryptomator/cracker/Cracker has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

When I check for updates in my java installation, it says it is already the latest version installed. (Same version that is recommended if I want to download Java - Version 8 Update 291)
Is it correct that one needs to have at least java development kit 11 installed to use this little tool?

Jup, it needs JRE11+ (no JDK, though).

If you don’t want to install Java, I’m also in the process of building an AOT-compiled binary, however it seems like it is less performant due to missing JIT optimization.

I have Java RE installed (Version 8), and I would not mind to install a newer version, but Im struggling. Java.com seems not to want me to download anything newer than Version 8. :frowning:
Web:
chrome_8mEf0t2w0q

And every guide I find how to install JRE 11 on Windows 10 are pointing to a Java Development Kit installation.

Forget everything you know about java.com. :smiley:

You can get recent JDK builds from any of these vendors:

E.g. if you choose AdoptOpenJDK, if you click on Other Platforms, you can see a list of all binary releases which you can filter using the dropdown menus above:

2 Likes

Thank you. Astonishing that such a information is so hard to finde via google.
Deinstalled Java RTE8, installed JRE11, Script works like a charm.

1 Like

Incredibly humbled @overheadhunter, you’ve completely made me a very happy camper. I’m going to test it on a dummy vault first, see how well it can spot a correct password but other than that, wasn’t expecting a solution this early.

Thank you!!!