W10 20H2 - java.io.IOException: Error during file system creation

Cryptomator don’t let me open a vault which was working pretty well in the past. My version is (for some reason) still 1.4.11 with webdav mode. Using the correct version it tells me “unlocking error. refer to log for details”.

Hereafter are the details which do not tell me anything, whats going wrong. Using another PC, an old version of the file and running cryptomator with admin rights allways gave the same result.

Who knows help to unlock this (for me important) vault? Thanks in advance for your advice.

20:04:04.693 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR o.c.ui.controllers.UnlockController - Unlock failed for technical reasons.
java.io.IOException: Error during file system creation.
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:44)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:257)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:88)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(FileSystems.java:344)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(FileSystems.java:293)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:128)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.Vault.unlockCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:90)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.Vault.lambda$getCryptoFileSystem$0(Vault.java:77)
	at org.cryptomator.common.LazyInitializer.lambda$invokeFactoryIfNull$1(LazyInitializer.java:62)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.atomic.AtomicReference.updateAndGet(AtomicReference.java:209)
	at org.cryptomator.common.LazyInitializer.initializeLazily(LazyInitializer.java:49)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.Vault.getCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:77)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:111)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.controllers.UnlockController.lambda$didClickUnlockButton$0(UnlockController.java:439)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.util.Tasks.lambda$create$0(Tasks.java:33)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.util.Tasks$TaskImpl.call(Tasks.java:139)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: java.io.UncheckedIOException: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: D:\_Archiv\[...]\masterkey.cryptomator.bkup
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule.provideCryptor(CryptoFileSystemModule.java:36)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.provideCryptor(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:66)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.get(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:41)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.get(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:11)
	at dagger.internal.DoubleCheck.get(DoubleCheck.java:47)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:107)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:13)
	at dagger.internal.DoubleCheck.get(DoubleCheck.java:47)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent$CryptoFileSystemComponentImpl.cryptoFileSystem(DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent.java:356)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.lambda$create$0(CryptoFileSystems.java:38)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.compute(ConcurrentHashMap.java:1908)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:30)
	... 22 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: D:\_Archiv\[...]\masterkey.cryptomator.bkup
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:89)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileCopy.copy(WindowsFileCopy.java:164)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.copy(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:279)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.copy(Files.java:1294)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule.backupMasterkeyFileIfRequired(CryptoFileSystemModule.java:42)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule.provideCryptor(CryptoFileSystemModule.java:33)
	... 33 common frames omitted
20:04:12.590 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - JavaFX application stopped.
20:04:12.593 [main] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Shutting down...
20:04:12.605 [Thread-0] INFO  o.c.launcher.CleanShutdownPerformer - Goodbye.
Summary

This text will be hidden

Hi. The log states that the access to write to your vault is denied.
As Cryptomator wants to create a Masterkey file backup to your vault folder (and can’t because access is denied) the unlock fails.

That’s at least how I understand the error

AccessDeniedException: D:\_Archiv\[...]\masterkey.cryptomator.bkup

Thanks. Inbetween I found the solution: Just delete the bkup-file and access was possible for the very moment, but not after re-opening (then showing the same failure).

Therefore: Deleting the bkup-file, opening the (old) vault, creating a new vault, copying data from old to new, shifting the old vault to somewhere and the new to the orign place of the old … and everything is fine including recursive opening.

In the end: Obviously it had nothing to do with access rights (concerning directory and user) which may be assumed based on the message “AccessDeniedException”, since the new vault works pretty good on the old place without changes of directory and/or user. I assume, that there is a bug by creating the bkup-file out of the existing Masterkey file (not knowing, if the bug is in the master or the bkup-file).