Version 1.6.1 on Linux hangs when creating a vault

Volume Type: FUSE

After I press the button Create Vault nothing happens - wait icon runs for ever.
[JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.c.u.a.AddVaultWelcomeController - AddVaultWelcomeController.createNewVault()
[JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.CommonsModule - Starting App Background Thread 003

Everything works fine with version 1.5.17
Any idea what can be wrong?

Welcome to the Cryptomator Community :slightly_smiling_face: ,

Is this the button at the end of the “Add new Vault” wizard or which button are we talking about? A screenshot would be helpful (:

Add Vault dialog
Add_Vault

From the technical perspective, on your system Cryptomator is stuck in this piece of code:

The comments (lines starting with //) describe the different phases. Before 2, a file called masterkey.cryptomator should be placed into your vault storage location. Before 3, the d directory and the vault.cryptomator file shoul additionally exist. Before 4, inside the d directory there should exist 2 folders and file, stacked inside each other. And at the end of the method, a file called IMPORTANT.rtf should exists additionally in your vault directory.

When you try to create a vault, which of the files and directories mentioned above are present?

I was too impatient - vault creation just takes a long time - up to 5 min

at first the masterkey.cryptomator.tmp is created and then a long time nothing happens
and then after x minutes all the other files and directories are created

I missed to mention that the vault is written into a mounted webdav directory.
For mounting I use davfs2 and fstab
$webdavurl /mnt/$mntdir davfs defaults,_netdev,user,uid=$localuser,gid=$localusergroup 0 0

However same behavior if you create a vault in a local directory.

**18:41**:28.778 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.c.u.a.AddVaultWelcomeController - AddVaultWelcomeController.createNewVault()
**18:45**:59.961 [App Background Thread 006] DEBUG o.cryptomator.cryptofs.ReadonlyFlag - Vault opened for read and write.
18:46:00.137 [App Background Thread 006] TRACE o.c.cryptofs.fh.FileHeaderHolder - Generating file header for /mnt/web.de/bug_test6/d/NY/WZRORUAZPHBAXOJ35DVFBN32LB7ECJ/noGyZqMsmKgsPpumgMGf6THLrCwBHvnCjts_.c9r
18:46:00.137 [App Background Thread 006] DEBUG o.c.c.common.ReseedingSecureRandom - Seeding CSPRNG with 55 bytes...
18:46:58.818 [App Background Thread 006] DEBUG o.c.c.common.ReseedingSecureRandom - Seeded CSPRNG.
18:46:58.819 [App Background Thread 006] TRACE o.c.cryptofs.fh.OpenCryptoFile - First channel for this openFile. Initializing file size...
18:46:58.820 [App Background Thread 006] TRACE o.c.cryptofs.ch.CleartextFileChannel - org.cryptomator.cryptofs.ch.CleartextFileChannel@29ad2d4 - Writing file header.
18:46:59.575 [App Background Thread 006] INFO  o.c.u.a.CreateNewVaultPasswordController - Created vault at /mnt/web.de/bug_test6

**18:48**:39.507 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.c.u.a.AddVaultWelcomeController - AddVaultWelcomeController.createNewVault()
**18:53**:51.172 [App Background Thread 006] DEBUG o.cryptomator.cryptofs.ReadonlyFlag - Vault opened for read and write.
18:53:51.534 [App Background Thread 006] TRACE o.c.cryptofs.fh.FileHeaderHolder - Generating file header for /mnt/web.de/bug_test7/d/4I/XTOAXA5SWVL7ZTNL7FMV23T72JL776/HnUVT4kIs3kwCJRCKYOH8-CSwnstqE9QQSax.c9r
18:53:51.535 [App Background Thread 006] DEBUG o.c.c.common.ReseedingSecureRandom - Seeding CSPRNG with 55 bytes...
18:54:19.455 [App Background Thread 006] DEBUG o.c.c.common.ReseedingSecureRandom - Seeded CSPRNG.
18:54:19.456 [App Background Thread 006] TRACE o.c.cryptofs.fh.OpenCryptoFile - First channel for this openFile. Initializing file size...
18:54:19.456 [App Background Thread 006] TRACE o.c.cryptofs.ch.CleartextFileChannel - org.cryptomator.cryptofs.ch.CleartextFileChannel@66571b87 - Writing file header.
18:54:19.681 [App Background Thread 006] INFO  o.c.u.a.CreateNewVaultPasswordController - Created vault at /mnt/web.de/bug_test7
18:54:20.685 [App Scheduled Executor 02] DEBUG o.c.common.settings.SettingsProvider - Attempting to save settings to /home/andreas/.config/Cryptomator/settings.json
18:54:20.686 [App Scheduled Executor 02] INFO  o.c.common.settings.SettingsProvider - Settings saved to /home/andreas/.config/Cryptomator/settings.json
18:54:25.572 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.c.common.vaults.VaultStats - stop recording stats
18:54:25.573 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.c.ui.launcher.AppLifecycleListener - Allow quitting without prompt: false
18:54:25.613 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG o.cryptomator.ui.fxapp.FxApplication - Start unlock workflow for bug_test7

Did you installed Cryptomator via apt/ppa or are you using the AppImage?

I can reproduce the problem with the apt installed version. With the AppImage, the vault creation finishes instantly.

Edit: I take that back, only the first time, afterwards it takes as long as the ppa.

I created a bug ticket on the issue tracker:

:warning: This is not a permanent solution, but it helps us locate the source of the problem :warning:

I suspect your system is running out of entropy. To verify this theory: Does installing haveged help (might require reboot)?