Vault on NAS + async backup towards cloud

I’m spending some time thinking how I can introduce Cryptomator safely in my relatively basic NAS based environment. I have 2x NASes in 2x different sites that are running within a VM (debian/OpenMediaVault) and have been serving me for years. They copy/replicate each other overnight via rsync scripts.

Now, as I would like to encrypt my data I have initially thought about encrypting the NAS filesystem using LUKS but that doesn’t work the way I expect e.g. I need to unlock the volume manually (or automatically via some indirect procedure) after each reboot and still if I move off any file e.g. backup toward the cloud, content would be be unencrypted any ways.

So thank you for developing Cryptomator! :slight_smile:

What I am planning to do is:

• Keep my NASes
  • Crate 1x vault per each site (since they both have the own content)
  • For each NAS move all the data to the local vault
  • Keep my rsync scripts solution to backup the cryptomator encrypted files
  • On each NAS use rClone to upload the Cryptomator files onto pCloud
  • Each LAN client will of course need to have Cryptomator installed and the vaults mounted

Now a couple of questions:

• Do you foreseen any issue with the above scenario?
  • If a given vault is mounted (by multiple clients) can it be safely backed up? Or does the vault need to be unlocked to be backed up properly?
  • I have some data that is to be accessed by the NAS itself e.g. movies to be served via Plex, I was never successful setting up Cryptomator-cli :-/ I’m also reading cli is released “in developement” so I guess unstable. Is there an alternative for the NAS to access the vault files via command line?
  • Is there any way to store the password to unlock password/key (for Cryptomato-cli) on an external webserver? This would protect me further in case the NAS is physically stolen

Thanks!