Vault crash while Shift + drag drop to vault

Hello everyone - this is the first issue after 1 year of multiple platform and it has bee very robust.

the following isuue hapen to my friend : using windows and on his onedrive folder laptop (so local not only)

While I drag and drop file in the open vault it crashes and close.
upon opening i’m stuck with → Error Code 8V9J:BEQL:BEQL
I use the health check and fix I can mount the vault but it is now in LOST+FOUND with all file being *.c9r

I have a copy of the vault giving me the error code.
I have the copy of the LOST+FIND.

Anybody had a similar issue ?
and manage to recovered ?

I try to run the sanita
but i’m not strong enought to make it work … I have the script created and made executable and i’m not sure i use it properly …

Any help would be appreciated.

Error Code 8V9J:BEQL:BEQL
org.cryptomator.cryptofs.ContentRootMissingException: The encrypted root directory of the vault E:\Personal is missing.
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.6.5/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.checkVaultRootExistence(CryptoFileSystems.java:85)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.6.5/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:59)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.6.5/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:196)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.6.5/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:86)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.6.5/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:126)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.9.1/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.createCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:126)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.9.1/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:145)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.9.1/org.cryptomator.ui.keyloading.KeyLoadingStrategy.use(KeyLoadingStrategy.java:79)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.9.1/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:70)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.9.1/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:60)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.9.1/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:31)
	at javafx.graphics@20.0.1/javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniAccept.tryFire(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$Completion.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I’d like to give you a basic understanding of the vault format so that you can figure out what might’ve happened. When you create a new vault, it will create the following structure:

├─ d
│  └─ BZ
│     └─ R4VZSS5PEF7TU3PMFIMON5GJRNBDWA
├─ masterkey.cryptomator
└─ vault.cryptomator

In this example, the folder at path ./d/BZ/R4VZSS5PEF7TU3PMFIMON5GJRNBDWA is the so-called “encrypted root directory” of the vault. That’s where all the encrypted files and folders at root level are located. Be aware that the path is different for each vault, this was just an example.

In your error 8V9J:BEQL:BEQL, Cryptomator is unable to locate the encrypted root directory, which must exist. To be honest, I can’t find any reason from your instructions that this folder just magically disappears. Something else must’ve happened.

So… what to do about it?

1. Make sure that the sync client is up-to-date and shows that it’s fully synced. Make sure that you have a backup of the vault.
  2. Determine the encrypted root directory.
    1. Go to the vault options.
    2. Press “Start Health Check” and follow instructions (“Directory Check” is enough).
    3. Only fix the warning with “dir.c9r (null) points to non-existing directory.”
    4. Unlock the vault and you’ll notice that it’s empty.
    5. Drag & drop the vault drive into the “Locate Encrypted File” drop zone.
    6. The revealed folder is the encrypted root directory.
  3. Check in your vault structure if you can find a similarly named folder (maybe it was renamed by your sync client?) or maybe check your trash of your cloud storage provider if you can find this folder.
  4. If you found it, make sure to name this folder exactly like the one that was created in step 2. Since the new one is empty anyway, you can replace it with the original one.
2 Likes

Many thanks for the Swift reply.

1- Using another vault (I don’t have yet access to the folder) and changing name of folders while locked reproduced similar error when unlocking.

2- Running the health check as described help to get the folder name back.

3- Copy the exact content inside the recovered name folder and unlock vault is now working.

I will share the result with the initial vault but I want to thanks for the immediate support.

My personnel Experience for 1 Year is my vault is on Pcloud and I access this vault daily from my office (Windows) from home (linux) and phone android and now Graphenes OS. I never ever had a single glitch.

I finally get access to the file and get all data back without exception !! :slight_smile:
Thanks so much Tobi for you support.

I made a copy of the vault giving me the error while mounting that I will call my back up.

1. I did the step 2 (determine the encrypted root folder) up to step 2.4. I could unlock it and lock without warning but is empty.

2. Once vault locked I copy the Back up folder and move to the recently fixed vault.
    the system ask me what to do with duplicate I tell to merge

when I unlocked the vault all files appeared as before.

thanks a lot