Using KeePass key file (.key) within Cryptomator on Android Phone

I have tried looking for a solution to this problem but I could not find it. I have a KeePass database protected with a master password AND a key file (.key file). I have encrypted the key file with Cryptomator and uploaded it to Dropbox. I would like to access my database on my Android device using Keepass2Android but I cannot get it to point to the key file withing the Cryptomator vault. When I unlock the vault I have the option to share the key file but when I choose Keepass2Android it just opens that app and does nothing. So I wanted to know if this was a possibility.

Hey and welcome :slightly_smiling_face:!

The next big feature of the Android app will be accessing files of a Cryptomator vault inside other apps using a DocumentProvider. For example, a file explorer will be able to access the content of the vault in this way but we are just starting the evaluation, so it will take some time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. When you say some time, can we expect it by the end of the year (2020)?

Hello All. :slightly_smiling_face: Has there been any progress on this feature? I just downloaded and started using Cryptomator today, and so far, I am loving it, but using it to store my KeePass key file was one of my main goals. I have not tried the Android app yet, but I read through the documentation, and it sounds like I would have to actually export the key file in order to use it which would defeat the purpose of using Cryptomator, or am I missing something?

keepass on it’s own is secure enough, no need to put it in ctmt vault.

Gordon Ramsay: it’s over cooked! you ixxxxx!

You’re thinking of the database file not the key file. The database file is indeed encrypted, but key file is not since it is needed to login to the database file. I would prefer to encrypt the key file at rest so that it is only available when I unlock my Cryptomator vault, but I would prefer not to have to export it from Cryptomator to allow KeePass to see it i.e. the way it works on Windows.

After further research, I found that Keepass2Android has an option to import the key file to internal storage that is only accessible to that app, so it is my understanding that I would only need to expose the key file once, and from then on, the app would use the internal copy which should be safe enough. Sorry, I am new to both KeePass and Cryptomator, so please forgive my confusion on this.

With that said, the idea that @SailReal mentioned regarding allowing other apps to access Cryptomator files seems like a necessary step forward. Without that feature, the usefulness of Cryptomator on Android seems severely limited.