Unable to unlock more than one vault simultaneously

Hello,

I am unable to unlock (open) more than one vault at a time. When one vault is open, and I try to open a second one, Cryptomator stays permanently stuck with the rotating circle as if attempting to decrypt and mount the second vault.

From what I can tell this is not normal behavior, i.e. I should be able to open multiple vaults simultaneously should I not?

I am able to open one vault, lock it, then open a different vault. I am not able to have more than one vault open at a time. I can also open one vault, then try to open a second and come back and lock the first (and reopen the 1st vault again later); but this still does not allow the 2nd vault to open. Again, it just stays stuck with the rotating circle symbol.

I have tried changing mounting from auto to an assigned (different for each vault) drive; but so far nothing seems to work.

The closest issue I’ve found to this problem was a 2017 post that is similar but also different from this.

In my latest test, I first opened my OneDrive vault. But the MEGA (2nd) vault appears stuck at the unlock step. Following are the errors from that (most recent) log:

15:40:15.479 [Thread-12] ERROR o.c.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyAdapter - release /Cryptomator MEGA Vault Test2.txt failed.
java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: D:\Documents\MEGA_2TB_Paid\Vault\d\ZC\XZLAC6GM3U5L5ZKMNQ2TPGTFQEULBN\wvyqD8pqYz1DQIwS7cQWf5qsWia5Eu9VqxA2ORamADC54P1vVpsF6UzJOFDcG3Ie.c9r
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileAttributeViews$Basic.setFileTimes(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileAttributeViews$Basic.setTimes(Unknown Source)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.6.1/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.ch.CleartextFileChannel.persistLastModified(CleartextFileChannel.java:246)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.6.1/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.ch.CleartextFileChannel.implCloseChannel(CleartextFileChannel.java:314)
at java.base/java.nio.channels.spi.AbstractInterruptibleChannel.close(Unknown Source)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse@2.0.2/org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.OpenFile.close(OpenFile.java:87)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse@2.0.2/org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.OpenFileFactory.close(OpenFileFactory.java:67)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse@2.0.2/org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyFileHandler.release(ReadOnlyFileHandler.java:73)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse@2.0.2/org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyAdapter.release(ReadOnlyAdapter.java:280)
at org.cryptomator.jfuse.api@0.3.3/org.cryptomator.jfuse.api.FuseOperationsDecorator.release(FuseOperationsDecorator.java:122)
at org.cryptomator.jfuse.win@0.3.3/org.cryptomator.jfuse.win.FuseImpl.release(FuseImpl.java:213)

Further down, another error:
15:41:12.400 [Thread-18] ERROR o.c.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyAdapter - release /Cryptomator OneDrive Vault Test2.txt failed.
java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: D:\OneDrive\Vault\d\7U\JAF24VR6A3VMFIP5XYPKASXMJ2WAGY\8t-qKgdU97GQZMYey6LuPSK9MzrnlECSWPQe722IGVh3w_oCO8BF76xfZVZxtqvP9a5VVA==.c9r
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileAttributeViews$Basic.setFileTimes(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileAttributeViews$Basic.setTimes(Unknown Source)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.6.1/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.ch.CleartextFileChannel.persistLastModified(CleartextFileChannel.java:246)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.6.1/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.ch.CleartextFileChannel.implCloseChannel(CleartextFileChannel.java:314)
at java.base/java.nio.channels.spi.AbstractInterruptibleChannel.close(Unknown Source)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse@2.0.2/org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.OpenFile.close(OpenFile.java:87)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse@2.0.2/org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.OpenFileFactory.close(OpenFileFactory.java:67)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse@2.0.2/org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyFileHandler.release(ReadOnlyFileHandler.java:73)
at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse@2.0.2/org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyAdapter.release(ReadOnlyAdapter.java:280)
at org.cryptomator.jfuse.api@0.3.3/org.cryptomator.jfuse.api.FuseOperationsDecorator.release(FuseOperationsDecorator.java:122)
at org.cryptomator.jfuse.win@0.3.3/org.cryptomator.jfuse.win.FuseImpl.release(FuseImpl.java:213)
15:41:12.400 [Thread-20] TRACE o.c.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyAdapter - getattr /Cryptomator OneDrive Vault Test2.txt failed, node not found
15:41:12.400 [Thread-20] TRACE o.c.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyAdapter - getattr /Cryptomator OneDrive Vault Test2.txt failed, node not found

Windows 10, Version 22H2. Cryptomator Version 1.7.1

Please advise.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Alex

This error says that the encrypted file (*c9r) for Test2.txt ist not available to cryptomator.
Please doublecheck that the requested file is local available.

I also tried to reproduce this behavior, but cant. I can open as many vaults as I want (and access its content).
Cryptomator 1.7.1
Volumetype WinSFP

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response and interpreting the log portion for me.

It appears to me the encrypted file for Test2.txt is available. One evidence is that I can decrypt and mount each vault one at a time, after locking the first one; and once unlocked and mounted the Test2.txt file is there.

I just can’t have more than one vault unlocked at a time; and if I try to unlock a second one while the first is unlocked; then the second stays stalled at the password phase. Fortunately it doesn’t lock the entire program up, just the 2nd vault unlock attempt. To regain control I use task manager to end Cryptomator and then just unlock one vault at a time, locking it before attempting to unlock a second vault. So odd.

I do not know if this is related; however, since you indicated the portion of the log I provided indicated an unavailable file; I will mention that last night I was working in a word document saved to one of my vaults (unlocked while working on the document). And several times I got a MS Word error stating, "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost. (K:\documentName.docx) - where K was the virtual drive of the unlocked vault. I was able to then file save to K:\ and replace the previous document version. But I thought that was odd and inconvenient too. I left the document open, and the vault unlocked overnight and this morning I had to save the document to a new location as it couldn’t make contact with the virtual drive K even though I could see it in file explorer. So perhaps it’s some sort of connection issue, IDK. But then why can I open both vaults but just one at a time?

As I am new to Cryptomator; so I may try experimenting with various setting to see if that helps - starting with changing Volumetype from auto to WinFsp. So if there are any other recommendations of what to experiment with; I’d appreciate those too.

Thank you!

Just an update.

I updated to Ver 1.7.3 and still have the same problem of not being able to open more than one vault at a time.

However the most recent portable version 1.6.10 does allow me to open multiple vaults at the same time; so that is what I’ll use for now as a work around, especially as I am experimenting with trying to backup the unencrypted (virtual) drive files as well as the encrypted vault.

I noticed neither AOMEI nor EaseUS ToDo Disk nor File Backup works on the virtual drive. So based on previous posts here I’m looking into Personal Backup for that now. This is really beginning to feel too complicated…

Hopefully at some future point the main Windows 10 desktop app will allow me to open multiple vaults.

All that said; I still think Cryptomator is the best product available for encrypting cloud backup files and perhaps even to encrypt sensitive files on a USB. So thanks to the developers and community!!

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I have the same problem. Cryptomator is stuck in unlock with the rotating circle when I try to unlock multiple vaults.

Maybe this?

Do you mean, “As a workaround: Change the volume type ot “WinFsp (Local Drive)” (or “WebDAV (Windows Explorer)” ).”?

If so, how does one change the volume type as suggested?

Thanks!

This issue should be fixed with the latest release.

And here is how to change the volume type.
https://docs.cryptomator.org/en/latest/desktop/volume-type/

The provided link - https://docs.cryptomator.org/en/latest/desktop/volume-type.html - is bad - I get, “This is a 404 error page…” and it is not available using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine site either.

However, I figured out how to change the volume-type (Gear icon > Virtual Drive > select via drop down).

But most importantly; you are correct in that this issue, at least for me, has been corrected with desktop version 1.7.5.

THANK YOU!!! <3

Corrected the link. Thanks for letting me know.