"Silly" question from a new user

Hi,
I was a Boxcryptor (BC) customer for years and recently switched after they were acquired. When files/folders were encrypted thru BC and appended with a “bc” file extension, I was ONLY able to view/open them through BC’s local virtual drive and/or by using the app installed on my phone. With Cryptomator it’s different. ALL of my (encrypted) files, meaning those in the vaults placed within the cloud storage provider’s root folder as instructed ARE accessible (locally), directly from that storge provider’s folder and also online! So where’s the encryption? If I can access them without a password even when my vaults are locked and PW protected with the corresponding (mounted) drives hidden, why couldn’t the cloud provider? What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

Hi.
Do not place your files in the folder where the masterkey file and the „d“ directory is.
This is where your encrypted files are generated.

To encrypt files, unlock your vault in cryptomator and place your files in the virtual drive that appears after unlock.

If your files are accessible online, they are not encrypted.

Maybe this helps also: Cryptomator Tutorial: Get Started - YouTube

1 Like

Awesome! That’s what I thought but was unsure. The documentation including some online reviews only made this more confusing for me. Thank you so much for clearing it up and for responding so quickly! Have a wonderful rest of your week Michael!

Great video. I never thought there would be one so on target on YouTube.
A follow-up question. You say “Do not place your files in the folder where the masterkey file and the „d“ directory is. This is where your encrypted files are generated.” The virtual drive which appears after I unlock also contains the masterkey along with the welcom.rtf file, by default I believe. The „d“ directory is obviously not there. Should I then drag and drop the folder/files I wish to encrypt to that drive so that I now have a new folder and ignore the masterkey file? Thanks again

The masterkey file in the virtual drive is wrong. Maybe you placed it there by accident. It has to be in your vault folder next to the „d“ folder.

1 Like

I thought so, and may have done so in error as you suggest. It also exists in the vault folder next to the „d“ folder along with the “vault.cryptomator” and 2 “.bkup” files. I’ll make sure they are only there. Thank you so much!