Run as a service on Linux?

Hello guys!

I just started using this on Linux (1.4.0 Beta). It does the job, but GUI Interface has bugs in KDE on Debain. No tray icon and you have to have GUI app opened for this to work.

Are you planing/is there a way to run Cryptomator as a service, and just point it to a folder?

And one other thing, are you planing to add a way to use users own key for encryption?

Thanks for your efforts! Hope this project does not get abandoned like 99.9% cool FOSS projects do.

Regards,
Juris.

Or even better, integrate into KDE vault… :slight_smile:

There is a beta cli application here https://github.com/cryptomator/cli which you can script and auto launch like a service. Does the trick for me on my Ubuntu server…

What do you mean with a users own key? Use a private key/vertificate to encrypt the vault instead of a users password?

Hey! thanks!

> “What do you mean with a users own key? Use a private key/vertificate to encrypt the vault instead of a users password”

Yes. for even more encryption. Or generate a Key that is used to encrypt your files, instead of Cryptomator generating a key.

But as for CLI. Thanks! I will try running it.

Well, not sure if I got this right but all you’d gain from using your private key is a longer password, and it comes with the hassle of needing to deploy your private key across all your devices.
I would rather go with a password manager and let it create/use a password as long as you please.

Yeah, Key thing was just a thought I guess.

I have tried and successful set up cryptonator-cli with resillio sync and it seems to be THE BEST combination. Works amazingly good. KDE Vault is interesting idea too, but there is no way to OPEN OTHER VAULTS and there is no Mobile client.