Responsive on Windows, lame on Linux

Cryptomator on Windows 10 is a pleasure, easy to use, very responsive. But the Cryptomator-1.5.10 Appimage on Linux is a real pain in the armpit: Extremely slow, almost ununsable. It takes some minutes for the file manager Nautilus to show me the content of the vault, just 5 folders. Shoveling a file of 1 MB into the vault takes more than an hour. And this is not a question of bandwidth, both my Windows and my Linux machine are connected to the same Wifi. Needless to say, I’m a Linux user most of the time (Fedora 33).

Any ideas anybody? I would be happy, if I could reanimate the zombie.

First step is to try creating a vault on your local filesystem as a test. (not on a NAS or cloud share).
Drop a few files into that and see if the performance is better.

Ive found nautilus can be unresponsive if you use it to mount external services, such as webdav or samba shares. Performance for me is much better if i use the traditional mount command

for example:

cryptomator vault located on windows share on a NAS drive: from a terminal i would run

sudo mount -t cifs -o rw,uid=$(id -u),gid=$(id -g) //NASDRIVE/NASshare /home/CurrentUser/EmptyFolder

The above example would need adapting to your environment, depending on the storage or cloud service you use.
It would also be useful to know what Linux you are running, and if you are using local drive encryption such as Ecryptfs

Also important: In the general preferences, check if you WebDAV or FUSE. The first one is the slow one.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

It’s the FUSE interface and I’m running Fedora 33 Workstation.

I checked the interaction with a local vault as you proposed: encrypting and copying files was really lightening fast.

But a mount -t cifs command wouldn’t make much sense for me, because it’s not about file transfer via Samba to a NAS but cloud storage at Mailbox.org.

Correct, as i indicated, its only an example for one scenario.
You would have to adapt the mount line for your provider. E.G if you are connecting to mailbox.org via webdav, you would use a mount line such as mount -t davfs , rather than cifs.