Question about Onedrive

Hi Community,
I have a simple question.
I use Cryptomator with the protocol Dokany on Windows 10 64bit and i have a secured wault in onedrive.
When i copy a folder in the virtual cryptomator disk the onedrive software start immediately to upload the encrypted files to the onedrive cloud. Is this normal? Or i must pause onedrive and restart upload when the copy to the cryptomator folder is complete? Thanks for your help. Have a nice day.

That’s normal. No need to pause the sync. The one drive client is noticing when the file is not in use anymore and then starts uploading.

2 Likes

Good Morning Michael,
Thank you for the gentle and usefull answer.
Could i ask you another question?
Yesterday i uploaded 30 gb of files in one drive with cryptomator
This morning onedrive upload a new dir, but i didnt create a new directory in the cryptomator virtual drive. It’s normal?
And why if i wanna download only a file using cryptomator onedrive download all encrypted files?
Thanks

Yes. The files that onedrive is uploading are the encrypted vault files. These vault files have a complete different file and folder structure than the files and folders you have in the vault (because these files are encrypted). So even if you did not create a folder in your vault, cryptomator might create new folders for the vault structure. See here for details: Security Architecture — Cryptomator 1.7.0 documentation

Your encrypted vault files are usually local available as well, as long as you do not use a file-on-demand function (aka offline files) with onedrive. But even if you do, there should be no complete vault download every time.

1 Like

Well i tried in the same device with remove the local copy with the onedrive function “free space” but when i open the vault with cryptomator onedrive start to redownload all files in vault.
I’ve tried using cyberduck, and in fact he can download only the file i choose, but i dont understand why cyberduck ask for a persistent connection to onedrive, in fact in onedrive app permission cyberduck have a lot of permission, i dont known if this means cyberduck team or server can access on my not encrypted files in onedrive.