Proper usage of the virtual drive?

Are users expected to work with the unencrypted files in one place (e.g., C:\SomeFolder) and then sync them to the Cryptomator virtual drive drive (e.g., using RoboCopy)?

I’ve been using Boxcryptor, where I can work with even large (e.g., 4 GB) files directly from the virtual drive (X:), and I have Dropbox pointed at the encrypted version of the files (C:\SomeOtherFolder). It’s pretty clear that although both Boxcryptor and Cryptomator provide a virtual drive to access files that are stored encrypted somewhere else on the computer, the virtual drives behave very differently. If I had to guess, Boxcryptor’s provides access to the unencrypted files, and then encrypts copies of them in a cache folder somewhere because file R/W latency is no worse than from the C:\ drive, while Cryptomator’s provides access to the encrypted files and decrypts them when the user tries to access them. Is that correct?

Thanks!

That is correct (for cryptomator. I don’t know for boxcryptor)

Please keep in mind: Window WebDAV Interface does not support files larger than 4GB.
The team is actually in progress of switching to an other WebDAV client, but as long as this is not finished, there is this restriction.

Also: cryptomator seems to have an impact to the speed. See here: My thoughts/concerns so far

Thanks for the confirmation and the information.

My largest file is approximately 4 GB (3.89 GB). It takes about a minute to open on the Cryptomator virtual drive, but 2 seconds on Boxcryptor’s virtual drive (which is why I think their virtual drive is a view of the unencrypted files, not the encrypted ones).