Previewing a file changes the file modification date

EDIT: I am not going mad, there is at least one other person experiencing this: Files do not keep their original dates when copying into Cryptomator vault ( macos / Fuse-T ) · Issue #2700 · cryptomator/cryptomator · GitHub

— — — 8< — — —

Hello all.

• FUSE-T: 1.0.13
  • Cryptomator: 1.7.1
  • macOS: Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68)
  • Hardware: Apple silicon

On a Mac in the Finder you can press the space bar to preview the file. When I do this it changes the modification time! This didn’t happen with the old FUSE or Cryptmator 1.6.something (I can’t remember the exact version).

If you go back to preview the file in the same session it doesn’t appear to change the mod time again.

Is this just me or does it happen for other macOS users?

1 Like

Same here:

FUSE-T: 1.0.14
Cryptomator: 1.7.1 dmg-4343
macOS: Ventura 13.2.1
Hardware Apple Silicon

Thank you for reporting this issue. I can reproduce it and we’ll look into it.

I have the same issue. Will there be a fix for it soon. I usually set my folders to sort by modification date. pretty difficult that way ugh

The way to fix this is to go back to the old kext version of FUSE or use webdav. Sorry.

FUSE-T is based on Apple’s built-in nfs and if I’m understanding it correctly a bug is causing the time modification. Seems like everybody is just shrugging their shoulders and going “oh well”.

I don’t know why FUSE-T is the default recommendation now, to me this is an absolute show stopper for anybody who relies on accurate date and time info for their files. I glad I spotted this immediately and did a hasty uninstall.

1 Like

This issue now has a workaround with FUSE-T 1.0.22 and later. Add mount flag -onomtime.

Thanks for sharing this! I’m not sure I’m quite ready to put this into production just yet.

Looking at the discussion from the devs I would suggest people look at -o noatime as well and see which works best for them.

Very glad to see some headway has been made on this, thanks all.

Could you explain what -o noatime is supposed to do? It doesn’t seem to fix the preview issue and it causes vault lock issues for me after previewing some files. -o nomtime works great for me from limited testing and seems to be recommended by the developer to fix the preview issue.

Sorry for being tardy on this, I believe the ‘a’ is for access time and the ‘m’ is for modification time.

How do I add a mount flag?

Is it possible to reverse these metadata changes without a backup? I notice that even though the metadata is changing, somehow some part of it is still preserved when I upload the pic into my photo app.

In the vault settings in the mount tab.

https://docs.cryptomator.org/en/latest/

Is there any way to apply FUSE-T to workaround this issue with local NFS servers (ubuntu 22.04) & macs (ventura) ?