Preferences (safe password with windows data safty)

Hi there! :slight_smile:

I’m new to Cryptomator and working myself through the preferences tabs…

There is an option in the “General” tab which is “Store password with: Windows data protection” What does it mean? By googeling “Windows data protection” there is nothing which explains it to me…

Cheers
Markus

1 Like

That means that if you decide to safe your vault password, it will be safes in the windows keychain (standard windows password storage).

With Cryptomator 1.6 plugins where introduced.
There’s a plug-in to add KeePassXC as an option and use it as default password storage instead of the system keychain.

Hi Michael,

thanks for your help, I do understand…

Is it insecure to store it with windows? Except by storing it anyway because everyone who can use your PC has an open vault… :wink:

I will have a look at the KeePass thing as I’m using it as well…

If you have a secure system with secure passwords then I personally would say “yes”.
Please note: If you want to make your local system secure, consider using solutions that are designed for local, system-wide data privacy. Like bitlocker, veracrypt, etc. Cryptomator is designed to cover privacy issues with online files (mainly)

Not if you are using different windows accounts.

Please note: The Plugin is for use with KeePassXC (similar, yet different solutions)

Why is VeryCrypt safer than Cryptomator?

Its not safer (or less safe). Its just build to fully integrate into your system means you can encrypt your complete system (if you want to). Cryptomators purpose is to create a vault and encrypt files in it in order to easily sync these with an online storage. Thats just a different approach.

OK, I did use VeryCrypt so far but had this issue with DropBox so I’m very happy that I found it… Before I had all unenrypted in my DropBox…

As I don’t want to encrypt my whole PC I can imagin to use Cryptomator for all my safes…

PS: I never used paddle, do I have to make up an account and what kind of payment can I use in Paddle? PayPal?

And what do I do when my email address changes I bought the licence key with?

No you dont need an account to use paddle for payment.
There are various payment methods offered, yes also PayPal
If you want to change the email address connected to your android licence, you can ask for a change here in the board.

And - if I have once decided to use windows data safty: how can I delete the vault password from the windows keychain??

Reason for this question:

• If I uncheck the option to store the password in the windows keychain, I will be asked for the password next time. Perfect, that’s what is expected.
  • But now, big surprise: when I check again the option, the vault opens without asking the password.

→ Seems Windows keychain is remembering the password forever?!

I’m using the keepassxc plugin. Seems to work OK.

If you’re on a computer that others have access to this will prevent anyone from opening your vaults without first having your keypassxc password.

Try using Windows Credential manager. It is located in the windows control panel under user accounts credential manager.

You should be able to locate and delete the password there.

No. When you open the Vault specific options, in the password tab you can find a button to forget your saved password:
grafik

You can also get there by clicking on the “Password saved” text in the locked vault view in the main app.

Thank you very much Infeo for this hint
But I think, finding this option is a little bit tricky and too complicated!
First point: Forget Saved Password is only visible if in the general options “Store passwords with Winwos Data Protection” is checked. Why? This button should not depend on a checkbox in the general options (at least if a password was once saved…)
Second point: I would expect that unchecking the option “Store passwords with Winwos Data Protection” in the general options would cause deleting the stored password. It should have the same function as “Forget Saved Password” in the Vault-specific options. If you would implement this option, you could even delete the “Forget Saved Password” button in the Vault-specific options.

Hi LowW
Your tip with Windows Credential Manager did not work. Have deleted all entries and Cryptomator still remembered the password. No idea where Cryptomater stores the password! It seems not to be visible in the Windwos Credential Manager.

Sorry, I have to comment on my own proposals:
“Second point” is not a practicable scheme, since several vaults with different passwords could be affected.

But the first point proposal would make things clearer. Here is an additional idea: Make the “Forget Saved Password” button shaded (inactive) if no password is stored, and make it active, if a password is stored. And still: make the button independent of the “Store passwords with Winwos Data Protection” checkbox.

Sorry. I was making my best guess.

I’m no longer storing my passwords inside the app. I have the keypass XC plug-in loaded.

Ok - thank you for the tip. Eventually I’ll try this plugin too…