OneDrive: Many files are deleted and moved to recycle bin

Hi. I’ve been regularly editing and adding files to my vault, which is stored in OneDrive, but almost never delete a file. However, I get numerous notification windows telling me about files being deleted and sure enough I see a lot of files in the OneDrive Recycle Bin. Does Cryptomator rename or recreate a file when it’s edited? Is that the reason why I see so many files deleted, or is there something wrong with my setup? Thanks!

In general no. There is an edge case, where if the filename is very long and you shorten the file name, a file is deleted, but in general that does not happen a lot.
Also when you delete an empty directory, a file gets deleted (due to the dir structure flattening), but you speak of editing files. So I guess your setup does some strange things.

For more Info about the vault structure, see Security Architecture — Cryptomator 1.7.0 documentation

I think I know what’s going on. I use FreeFileSync to sync my mounted Vault to a back up drive, so that I have a decrypted back up of all the files in my vault. I’m guessing these are the lock files that FreeFileSync temporarily creates and deletes for the sync. Thanks for your clarification!