Not enough disk space after an iCloud mess. (even if files were deleted and there's plenty space, CM still sees the vault as "full")

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

I’ve searched the forums and I haven’t found a solution, hence this request for help.

• Specs:

Cryptomator: 1.6.10 (dmg-3659)
macOS Monterey: 12.4
local disk: 1 TB
Finder free space: 220 GB
iCloud plan/free space: 200 GB/161 GB

• The problem:

I can’t copy files over the “local vault” because Cryptomator shows only 78 GB available disk. (not enough space error).

• What happened:

A couple of days ago, I changed my Apple ID email ('cause new email), and I had to log off and log in again on my iPhone and MacBook. This caused a temporary mess with anything iCloud, and I almost lost everything. Luckily, iCloud synced everything iCloud back to normal. For Cryptomator, I had the local encrypted files available and was able to restore them.

Afterwards, thinking that iCloud somehow could have corrupted the vault, I proceeded to:

• back up all the (unencrypted) files on external disks
  • remove the encrypted vault files both locally and iCloud
  • turn on/off iCloud and free disk space, both locally and iCloud
  • made sure of free space/sync issues for a couple of days so that I would be sure everything was ok.
  • created a brand-new vault to start afresh

At this point I thought that I was good to go, since Finder shows over 220 GB free space, but nope?!?!

• The issue:

Even if I created a brand-new vault, Cryptomator is stuck showing the old “free space” (78 GB), and I cannot find a place anywhere on the system where to remove “old stuff” that the new vault is still referencing to (which btw, given all of the above, should be gone?).

Please help :slight_smile:

Afterwards, thinking that iCloud somehow could have corrupted the vault, I proceeded to:

• back up all the (unencrypted) files on external disks
  • remove the encrypted vault files both locally and iCloud
  • turn on/off iCloud and free disk space, both locally and iCloud
  • made sure of free space/sync issues for a couple of days so that I would be sure everything was ok.
  • created a brand-new vault to start afresh

At this point I thought that I was good to go, since Finder shows over 220 GB free space, but nope?!?!

So, I managed to solve this!!!

For the record, all of the above was fine. I just had to unlock the vault and let it “free space” on its own. I believe that it kept some memory of the old state and it hadn’t had the time to clear up.

Cheers!!!