No files in vault

Hi,
I’m on Windows 10. Started with an error unable to find drive. Using portable hard drive Seagate for backup. I looked on this forum for a fix. Created new vault created new password. Got into vault but no folders. I have 69 GB of data with no access! Updated to latest Ver. 1.5.16 and new Dokany. Have current debug log files.

Any help would be appreciated.

George

If you create a new vault with new password, of course you do not see any files.

Please explain step by step what you did. And what you expected to be happen.

To analyse your error:
Look in the logfile and search für ERROR or WARN message. If you find some, post them here.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

This is the error in the log file.

21:15:00.927 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR o.c.u.launcher.AppLaunchEventHandler - Failed to add vault G:\Vault 2\VaultSea2\masterkey.cryptomator.6FB54909.bkup
java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: G:\Vault 2\VaultSea2\masterkey.cryptomator.6FB54909.bkup: Not a vault directory
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.VaultListManager.add(VaultListManager.java:57)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.launcher.AppLaunchEventHandler.addOrRevealVault(AppLaunchEventHandler.java:74)
	at java.base/java.lang.Iterable.forEach(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.launcher.AppLaunchEventHandler.lambda$handleLaunchEvent$0(AppLaunchEventHandler.java:59)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:447)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:446)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$runLoop$3(WinApplication.java:174)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
21:15:22.837 [App Background Thread 006] INFO  com.dokany.java.DokanyMount - Unmounting dokan device at E:\
21:15:22.839 [dokanMount-3-main] WARN  o.c.f.dokany.OpenHandleFactory - Closing unclosed handle to /
21:15:22.839 [dokanMount-3-main] WARN  o.c.f.dokany.OpenHandleFactory - Closing unclosed handle to /
21:15:23.840 [dokanMount-3-main] INFO  org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault - Unmounted vault 'VaultSea2'
21:15:23.844 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.cryptomator.ui.lock.LockWorkflow - Lock of VaultSea2 succeeded.
21:15:36.050 [App Background Thread 006] INFO  com.dokany.java.DokanyMount - Dokany API/driver version: 141 / 400
21:15:36.081 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow - Unlock of 'VaultSea2' succeeded.
21:15:55.195 [App Background Thread 006] INFO  com.dokany.java.DokanyMount - Unmounting dokan device at E:\
21:15:56.196 [dokanMount-4-main] INFO  org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault - Unmounted vault 'VaultSea2'
21:15:56.198 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.cryptomator.ui.lock.LockWorkflow - Lock of VaultSea2 succeeded.
21:16:06.769 [App Scheduled Executor 01] INFO  o.c.common.settings.SettingsProvider - Settings saved to C:\Users\ska2s\AppData\Roaming\Cryptomator\settings.json

I followed the steps for creating new password in new vault. I did this to find the drive which is G:\ MY PORTABLE HARD DRIVE. I copied the masterkey and I think it said overwrite. Looking in the vault seem to have three masterkey.pkup files one dated 03/12/2020 the other two 27/05/2021. Sorry not good with PC.

your vault is not recognized, because the masterkey file is missing.
To restore it from a backup, please rename this backup file (above) to “masterkey.cryptomator”.
Then try to open your vault again.

Please note: you cannot just create a new vault and then overwrite the content or masterkey file to restore ist. The vault content and masterkey file must match. Otherwise your vault will show as empty, because no file can be decrypted. Means: do not mix up the content in folder “d” and masterkey.

Thank you for the info.

When rename file I get message. If you change file extension it may became unusable.
Are you sure you want to change it? Yes/No
If I click yes I get message Do you want to rename file
masterkey.cryptomator.6FB54909.bkup to masterkey 2 cryptomator ? There is already a file with this name in this location Yes/No

What do I do with the original file masterkey.cryptomator

Let me summarize:

Currently, you have these files in your vault’s storage directory:

d/
masterkey.cryptomator
masterkey.cryptomator.6FB54909.bkup
masterkey.cryptomator.12345678.bkup
masterkey.cryptomator.abcdefgh.bkup

Please be very precise here: Is masterkey.cryptomator the original file that has always been in this vault? Or did you copy it (or its contents) from some other vault?

In order to restore one of the bkup files:

1. First rename masterkey.cryptomator to something like masterkey (old).cryptomator.
  2. Then rename masterkey.cryptomator.6FB54909.bkup to masterkey.cryptomator and confirm with “yes” when asked if you really want to change the file extension.
1 Like

Thank you so much for your help its worked!

If I get a problem in future I will ask before taking any action.

All the very best.
George