No encryption when opening by file reference

Hi,
Though I have locked the cryptomator vault, I am still able to open Excel files via file reference.
I am using a Cryptomator-vault in a VeraCrypt-Container. Even if I

1. lock the Cryptomator-Vault
  2. unmount the VeraCrypt-Container
  3. Mount it VeraCrypt-Container
    I am able to open Excel files via file reference.

That means everything is completely unprotected!

I am using version 1.4.15 on a Windows 10 PC

Best regards

Alex

what do you expect? you’re using windows 10 lmao. ofc everything is completely unprotected.

as soon as you decrypt/view any files, windows will cache it and whatever. there’s probably some settings to disable the cache but it’s tricky to have any real privacy

OK. And what would be the correct way? Could I put the Windows 10 cache in the encrypted drive?

Cryptomator is not designed to encrypt your local system. It’s designed for online storages. If you want to have local encryption, then I recommend you veracrypt (as you already use it) and encrypt the complete partitions of your System.

Thank you Michael. I did not know this before.
I want to use a container in a container. Because I have private files to be strongly separated from the other files.
This is why I used Cryptomator-Container in VeraCrypt-Container. What solution would you recommend?

I assume that you’re hitting the WebDAV cache? This would be a known issue and the solution is to use Dokany instead.

Thank yo OverHeadHunter, I changed the “Laufwerkseinbindung” Method (I assume in english this is drive mounting or drive integration) from Dokany to WebDav and this solved the problem.
With WebDav I can no longer load encrypted files by just using the file reference.

If you want to store these files online I would recommend 2 Cryptomator vaults. If you are operating only local I would rather go with 2 veracrypt container.

Thank you Michael.
I thought it would be better to use two different systems but it is a lifelong learning.

The other way round, wasn’t it?

I have another question for this case: What is a file reference? Is this a shortcut to a file (windows *.lnk file)? Or something else? Because maybe this error is specific to these “references” and should be further investigated.

Yes, lnk, or Excel, Last used files, Reference to the last opened file