New changes break building with OpenJDK 13 — maven-compiler-plugin

Hey all! I’ve recently tried to dig into Cryptomator behind the scenes a little bit, and I’ve run into some problems which just popped up. Using the 1.5.0 release, I can properly build using mvn clean install -Prelease, but now the master, development, and release/1.5.1 branches all fail to build:

[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Total time:  2.298 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2020-04-22T16:49:42-05:00
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.8.1:compile (default-compile) on project commons: Fatal error compiling: error: release version 14 not supported -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoExecutionException
[ERROR]
[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with the command
[ERROR]   mvn <args> -rf :commons

I’m still using OpenJDK 13, as 14 is yet to be released via HomeBrew. Wondering if this was an intentional deprecation or if this is unexpected?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

yes intentional (we have to updated the README.md, though - thanks for the reminder).

I recommend using adoptopenjdk:

brew tap AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk
brew cask install adoptopenjdk14