Neovim can't open files in vault

I think this is most likely an issue with neovim but I am not certain. I wanted to post here (instead of a github issue) because it seems possible someone in this community has come across this before.

When I unlock a vault on Ubuntu 20.04.3, I cannot open neovim on any file (or without a file mentioned). If I call crypto the vault, then I get

>>> cd crypto/
>>> nvim test
cannot open path of the current working directory: Permission denied
>>> nvim
cannot open path of the current working directory: Permission denied

This issue doesn’t happen with any other editor (vi, nano, pico, etc) and is terminal-independent (gnome-terminal, tmux, kitty) as far as I can tell. I opened a github issue on neovim with more details here: https://github.com/neovim/neovim/issues/16119

I am sorry if this is the incorrect forum for this, but I am really confused as to what is going on. Thank you for any suggestions or help you can provide.

Hey and welcome to the Cryptomator Community :slightly_smiling_face:,

I have no problems using Neovim in the vault on my Manjaro machine. Does the problem also occur outside of the vault?

Thanks!

Nope, Neovim works fine everywhere else. This issue also doesn’t occur on windows 10 for me.

Have you tried to open a file in the vault with a different editor?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can open files with vi, nano, pico, etc. with no issue. This only happens on Ubuntu; everything works fine on windows 10.

In that case I really think you need to look at neovim to locate your problem. It’s very unlikely that crytomator would really care what txt editor you were usiing.
You might what to try vim and/or gvim. I’m a big fan of vim and did try neovim a long time ago but never really saw that it offered much more that I could find in vim.

@flphotog35 Yea I think the problem is ultimately with neovim, but I was wondering if anyone else came across it. I love vim too and made the switch to neovim a while back. I think using vim is the easiest solution to this. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for their help with this! It turns out the issue is completely unrelated to cryptomator and neovim really–its a snap issue, meaning the issue arose due to installing neovim via snap.

1 Like

That’s one reason I don’t use snaps whenever there is a reasonable substitute and there usually is