Mount of virtual filesystem does not work (Win11- MS OneDrive)

Hello everyone,
I have installed the latest version of cryptomator 1.6.17 (Windows 11 Home 22H2).
I set drive type to FUSE(WinFSP) and created a vault called “Test”.
I have selected Microsoft OneDrive as data storage.

Everything looks good so far. In the vault options, in the drive settings, I mapped the drive letter W:.
The integrity check for the vault does not bring any error messages.
I unlock the vault and this works too.

If I then press the “Show drive” button,
Windows Explorer starts with the following error message:
W:\ is not available. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected,
or the disk is inserted and try the operation again…

I have enabled debugging mode. Only the following entries can be found in the log file:

01:06:41.298 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO o.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService - Revealed Test
01:06:41.365 [Thread-40] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Acquired read path lock for ‘[]’
01:06:41.366 [Thread-40] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.DataRLockImpl - Acquired read data lock for ‘[]’
01:06:41.366 [Thread-40] TRACE o.c.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyAdapter - getattr / (lastModifiedTime: 2022-12-27T12:33:25.6681215Z, lastAccessTime: 2022-12-27T23:53:01.4506971Z, creationTime: 2022-12-26T15:14:25.0090994Z, isRegularFile: false, isDirectory: true, isSymbolicLink: false, isOther: false, size: 0, fileKey: null)
01:06:41.366 [Thread-40] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.DataRLockImpl - Released read data lock for ‘[]’
01:06:41.366 [Thread-40] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Released read path lock for ‘[]’
01:06:41.367 [Thread-41] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Acquired read path lock for ‘[]’
01:06:41.367 [Thread-41] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.DataRLockImpl - Acquired read data lock for ‘[]’
01:06:41.367 [Thread-41] TRACE o.c.frontend.fuse.ReadOnlyAdapter - getattr / (lastModifiedTime: 2022-12-27T12:33:25.6681215Z, lastAccessTime: 2022-12-27T23:53:01.4506971Z, creationTime: 2022-12-26T15:14:25.0090994Z, isRegularFile: false, isDirectory: true, isSymbolicLink: false, isOther: false, size: 0, fileKey: null)
01:06:41.367 [Thread-41] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.DataRLockImpl - Released read data lock for ‘[]’
01:06:41.367 [Thread-41] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Released read path lock for ‘[]’

This works perfectly on my second laptop with the same operating system and cryptomator installation.

Thanks and best regards.
Stefan

Hello everyone,
I solved the issue. I’ll describe here briefly how I came up with the solution. First I downloaded and installed Cryptomator Beta Version 1.7.0 from GitHub.

The new version of Cryptomator has many more options for vault drive type.

But none of the settings brought the solution.

Some time ago I noticed that whenever I start Cryptomator on my affected laptop, the pop-up with the Windows Shield logo appears.
This was not the case with my other Windows computers with Cryptomator.
I couldn’t really sort it out at this point.

I found the right solution with the help of the Windows Debugger, which you can download for free from the Microsoft Store.
Cryptomator must be started. Vault does not need to be unlocked.

Start the Windows Debugger as follows:

In the menu on the left click on File → Start debugging → attach to (a running) process.

All running Windows processes including two Cryptomator.exe appear in the window on the right. To the right you can see the username. At least that’s how it was on the machines Cryptomator worked on.
Tip: Filter with “crypt” at the top right, this improves the clarity.

However, on the computer on which Cryptomator was not working, the two cryptomator.exe processes were not visible.
I then discovered and ticked the “Show processes from all users” flag under the process overview.

After that, both cryptomator.exe appear with a Windows Shield logo in front of the process name.
And then it was clear to me that cryptomator had been started with administration privileges.

I have no idea why it was set that way on this machine.
To set this correctly (in Windows 11) you have to do the following:
Windows Start → right click on Cryptomator → open file location.

Now the directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Cryptomator should open in Windows Explorer. It contains the link to start Cryptomator.

Now right click on the link, select properties and click on the “Compatibility” tab.

Uncheck “Run program as administrator” and accept (possibly change for all users). Confirm with OK.
Now Cryptomator will be started without administrator privileges and Cryptomator can mount the virtual drive. Everything is working fine.

PS: Cryptomator Beta Version 1.7.0 is working fine so far.

Best regards Stefan

Hello Stefan,

very interesting. I tried the other way around but it seems cryptomator starts as an user OR with administrative rights. I use the registry key “EnableLinkedConnections” to see my network drives in both contexts. Do you know if it is possible to configure cryptomator to see the mapped drive in both contexts also?

Best regards Matthias

Doesn’t work for me. So far I have tried several versions of Cryptomator, with or without Admin rights, every virtual drive option available in each version. I can only conclude its some obscure Windows 11 issue. Anyone got any ideas? This has ruined my whole secure setup across several pcs,laptops and android phones; not happy.

Its mid September and version 1.10 has been installed AND IT STILL DOESN’T WORK. Surely someone else has come across an inability of Cryptomator to work with Windows 11, I can’t be alone.

With or without admin priv, compatibilty modes exhausted, winfsp 2022 and 2023 tried, webdav, auto all tried. Does Anybody know of a Windows setting that I might try???

Can you please provide some detail regarding your problems with Windows 11 and Cryptomator?

I have two windows 11 computers and I use cryptomator on both of them.

I keep my vaults in the cloud.

Cryptomator, on Win 11 is able to mount either as a drive, or folder to each of my cloud servers.

I have Cryptomator vaults stored on:

1. Google
  2. Microsoft Onedrive
  3. pCloud
  4. Backblaze
  5. SFTP to Windows
  6. SFTP to Linux
  7. Amazon S3 compatible
  8. Mega
  9. Idrive S3
  10. SMB

For most of these, I mount either a drive, or folder with an open source app called Rclone.

Rclone is a single file executable.
Nothing to install.
Supported on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and Android.

Anyone got any ideas?

Please help me to understand what problems you’re having combining cryptomator and Windows 11 and perhaps I can offer you a solution.

I use them together every day.

Thanks for responding. The issue is now solved . The Microsoft account I use was set as an administrator. Once I set it as a standard user all is fine.

1 Like