macOS: Cryptomator does not offer to use FUSE

Cryptomator does not offer FUSE for mounting vaults, leaving WebDAV as the only option. I can see this error in ~/Library/Logs/Cryptomator/cryptomator0.log:

08:59:14.894 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR o.c.frontend.fuse.mount.MacMounter - Could not read /Library/Filesystems/osxfuse.fs/Contents/version.plist to detect version of OSXFUSE.

But /Library/Filesystems/osxfuse.fs/Contents/version.plist does exist and is readable by everyone:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>BuildVersion</key>
        <string>1</string>
        <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
        <string>3.10.4</string>
        <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
        <string>3.10.4</string>
        <key>ProjectName</key>
        <string>OSXFUSE</string>
        <key>SourceVersion</key>
        <string>10000</string>
</dict>
</plist>

These are the file permissions:

-rw-r–r-- 1 root wheel 450 Dec 5 13:30 /Library/Filesystems/osxfuse.fs/Contents/version.plist

Cryptomator Version 1.4.17 (1451)
FUSE for macOS: 3.10.4

I already tried to deinstall, reboot, install. That did not work. Any ideas what I could check?

Hi. Did you check the system integrity protection?
https://docs.cryptomator.org/en/latest/desktop/troubleshooting/

I rebooted into the Recovery Partition, disabled the System Integrity Protection, rebooted, uninstalled Cryptomator and FUSE, installed them again, started Cryptomator and I am still only offered WebDAV :frowning:
I notice, when I click on the gearwheel to get to where I should be able to select between WebDAV and FUSE, I see a spinning wheel for about 10 seconds before the GUI changes.

Hi,

I have the same problem as you on my mac book. The logs show me the same errors.

But it is a little bit confusing. When i’m connected to the office network (by athernet and docking station) Cryptomator doesn’t offer me FUSE, but when I disconnect the Ethernet Cable, I can select FUSE :hushed:

Are you using your mac on a wired network?

Hello again,

after trying different combinations, i found out, that FUSE is not offered, when there is no direct internet connection. :thinking:

If I disconnect all network devices (Ethernet, Wi-Fi) FUSE is also not offered.

After a little research i found out, that the error occurs when cryptomator tries to find the installed FUSE version. The code needs internet connection to parse the version.plist file (XML/DTD Validation).

To validate this, I modified the version.plist file and removed the second line (DTD definition). The error doesnt occur anymore and I can select FUSE in cryptomator.

I will create a new Issue in the related Github project.

3 Likes