Locked out of Vault - Vault Name Change responsible?

Was changing a vault name last night and this morning I’m locked out and get this error code (below).

Error Code G50O:P31S:P31S
org.cryptomator.cryptofs.VaultKeyInvalidException: Failed to verify vault config signature using the provided key.
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.VaultConfig$UnverifiedVaultConfig.verify(VaultConfig.java:203)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:54)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:194)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:86)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:126)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.createCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:129)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:148)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.ui.keyloading.KeyLoadingStrategy.use(KeyLoadingStrategy.java:79)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:72)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:62)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:35)
	at javafx.graphics@18/javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1426)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Then I attempted to used the recovery key to change the password, and now I get a different error message:

Error Code V18O:SBOR:BJP5
org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Volume$VolumeException: org.cryptomator.frontend.webdav.mount.Mounter$CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 2. Expected 0. Stderr: System error 85 has occurred.

The local device name is already in use.

at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.WebDavVolume.mountServlet(WebDavVolume.java:86)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.WebDavVolume.mount(WebDavVolume.java:48)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:153)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.ui.keyloading.KeyLoadingStrategy.use(KeyLoadingStrategy.java:79)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:72)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:62)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:35)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.cryptomator.frontend.webdav.mount.Mounter$CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 2. Expected 0. Stderr: System error 85 has occurred.

The local device name is already in use.

at org.cryptomator.frontend.webdav@1.2.7/org.cryptomator.frontend.webdav.mount.ProcessUtil.assertExitValue(ProcessUtil.java:28)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.webdav@1.2.7/org.cryptomator.frontend.webdav.mount.WindowsMounter.mount(WindowsMounter.java:43)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.webdav@1.2.7/org.cryptomator.frontend.webdav.servlet.WebDavServletController.mount(WebDavServletController.java:102)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.WebDavVolume.mountServlet(WebDavVolume.java:84)
	... 13 more

Then after entering a new password, I get the first error code again

The second error is due to an unfinished unmount. When you open a terminal and enter net use, what is the output?

Regarding the first error: You opend tried to open a vault with the wrong masterkey file. Is your masterkey stored inside the vault storage location?

First error code: yes, masterkey file is in same place where it’s always been, in the vault storage location.

Second error code: Net use shows current status of vaults, but not last night when all this happened.

So, I got the recovery key and confirmed it. Then used that to change the password, then used that password to unlock the vault, but still getting this error code:

Error Code G50O:P31S:P31S
org.cryptomator.cryptofs.VaultKeyInvalidException: Failed to verify vault config signature using the provided key.
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.VaultConfig$UnverifiedVaultConfig.verify(VaultConfig.java:203)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:54)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:194)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:86)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs@2.4.0/org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:126)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.createCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:129)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.6.8/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:148)

I do see 7 masterkey.cryptomator backup files for this vault, when in my other two vaults I only see one…does this mean anything? And only one is time stamp last night (when vault was still working), but the remaining 6 are dated this morning after it stopped working.

If you see the timestamp of the masterkey.cryptomator, it was modified yesterday. I would try to rename masterkey.cryptomator to masterkey_latest.cryptomator and rename masterkey.cryptomator.F6B3A58D.bkup to masterkey.cryptomator. Then try to unlock the vault.

Before doing this, I it is never a bad idea to backup the vault folder if not already done.

SailReal - You rock - that worked!! My followup question is ,do I leave all the renamed files “as is” (which I assume I do)…OR… do I need to make any further changes or change anything back?

Thanks!!!

1 Like

You dont have to. What you actually did by following the instruction of @SailReal was to restore the latest backup of your masterkey file.
A new backup will be created automatically.
If you want to feel free to delete the file masterkey_latest.cryptomator as this is the file that didnt work. If you do not want to delete it it will stay there forever and will not harm anyone. Your choice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can I delete all the other backups in that folder? There are 4, not including the new one just created when the vault re-opened.

You can, but its not necessary as these backup files will be also delete automatically after a while.

I’m very glad you have access to your data again! :tada:

Since Cryptomator making backups of the master key file saved your ass this time, I highly recommend even more making backups regularly of the complete vault folder and or the decrypted content of the vault. Now that you can unlock the vault again, it’s also a good time to create a recovery key and put it somewhere safe Password And Recovery Key — Cryptomator 1.6.0 documentation

Yes, I do both those things.

1 Like