Lock failures - "not currently mounted" and "Resource busy"

I’m encountering problems locking my vault. I’ve closed all terminals and finder windows that I thought might be holding some resource. I cannot quit Cryptomator gracefully… I click “Quit” and “Lock and Quit” buttons and it fails to quit or even give any error feedback.

First stack where it would not quit nor lock my vault:

08:34:38.085 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR o.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService - Failed to lock Bountiful Voluntaryists
org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Volume$VolumeException: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 1. Expected 0. Stderr: umount: gn41PQ2t0q0__0: not currently mounted

at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.unmount(FuseVolume.java:147)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.lock(Vault.java:136)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService$LockVaultTask.call(VaultService.java:172)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService$LockVaultTask.call(VaultService.java:156)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 1. Expected 0. Stderr: umount: gn41PQ2t0q0__0: not currently mounted

at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.ProcessUtil.assertExitValue(ProcessUtil.java:26)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.AbstractMount.unmount(AbstractMount.java:51)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.unmount(FuseVolume.java:144)
	... 8 common frames omitted

Second stack where my other vault wouldn’t lock:

08:46:35.710 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR o.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService - Failed to lock cryptomator
org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Volume$VolumeException: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 1. Expected 0. Stderr: umount(/Volumes/vOApXTdyQFrg_0): Resource busy -- try 'diskutil unmount'

at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.unmount(FuseVolume.java:147)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.lock(Vault.java:136)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService$LockVaultTask.call(VaultService.java:172)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.VaultService$LockVaultTask.call(VaultService.java:156)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 1. Expected 0. Stderr: umount(/Volumes/vOApXTdyQFrg_0): Resource busy -- try 'diskutil unmount'

at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.ProcessUtil.assertExitValue(ProcessUtil.java:26)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.AbstractMount.unmount(AbstractMount.java:51)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.unmount(FuseVolume.java:144)
	... 8 common frames omitted

System Details:
Cryptomator v 1.5.5
Volume Type FUSE
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Note that the volume that Cryptomator thought was unlocked did not exist.

I finally logged out and logged back in to get it to quit.

(I found in this process that the KeepassX program causes it to fail to lock.)

(It seems bad that the locking fails without an indication to the user.)

Since version 1.5.11 vaults can also be force locked, but only by selecting the vaults one by one.

But according to your error messages this does not seem the case here, especially with error message “not currently mounted”.