Many of you may already have read that we have rewritten the UI code almost entirely for Cryptomator 1.5.0. This means that we didn’t even try to preserve code that we knew to be inferior. As part of this process some resources haven’t survived even though a lot of effort was put into them. Sadly, localizations were among them.
Since we knew we’d have to redo almost all localizations, we took advantage of the opportunity to find a better localization workflow. The old workflow had several technical flaws, such as bad unicode handling of Java’s
.properties files, which forced us to use
.txt files with their poor IDE support instead. Also, the automation was very limited and caused either some manual steps or a lot of spam in our GitHub repo.
We have evaluated some alternatives and now settled with Crowdin. Besides the better integration with our workflows this simplifies the process for our translaters, as well. For example we can now provide screenshots that clearly show the context of a text.
Crowdin also has a great plausibility check with support for spell-checking, recognition of certain punctuation and even string formatter support.
All in all we are convinced that switching the localization platform was the right decision, even if this means that our existing translators have to register at a different service and redo some work.
If you’d like to help us translate Cryptomator 1.5.0, you can easily join our translation team here: