Is cryptomator's desktop app robust enough to deploy now? I've been /w ctmt for 4years already

Hi,
since around 2018 I begin use google drive for backup.
ctmt is still naive that time so I chose another competitor’s product.

now it’s 4years now, i got a second unlimited googe drive to backup the
1st.

I understand google like to arms race with developers on android’s
file sysem, so I will skip that.

But is the ctmt’s desktop version now robust enough for daily use?
In 2018 it’s use of webav limited files of 4GB large is a joke.

I know now ctmt can use FUSE/donkay now.

But could someone honestly tell me,
can I trust ctmt for backup to google drive now?

thanks

1 Like

I’ve been using it for months now on RHEL, Fedora and some Ubuntu derivatives using NextCloud as the primary location of the vault, All have been using the NextCloud client to sync the bits and never had an issue at all. I’m doing the same on my wife’s Windows 10 laptop but she rarely uses it so that’s not much of a test. I access same vault from Android and iOS. All working well.

1 Like

macOS, iOS, and Android here, zero problems in 3+ years with daily usage. I would suggest you save your files to both for a while and use Cryptomator as your primary.

webdav is a backup option and if you are on a Mac I would suggest using FUSE instead of FUSE-T (the latter is in the experimental stages). There’s also some Mac oddities to note, you can’t colour tag a file or set a default ‘open with’ for instance. Data integrity though has been flawless for me, others have had problems so check out the bug list here and see if it makes you comfortable.

If you’re regularly dealing with files over 4Gb just stay where you are perhaps? Your post is kind of combative so maybe it’s not the product for you.

hi

1. i use win+android only

2. when cryptomator is a startup, i paid USD12 as a beta user, and after 4 years, if there is no stable program to use, i will doubt how the money-flow works.

3. what further sucks, is that due to the naive of ctmt, i chose to use boxcrypt, and it was bought by dropbox and kicked every free users away.

4. further complicated by gocryptfs/cppcryptfs that by default they could not run on mobiles like android.