Installed, started - nothing happens

Hi,
I’m new to cryptomator.

I downloaded the OSX app, draggged it to the application folder and started it.
When started, the only thing that happens is that the icon appears in the top menu (next to the wifi sign, time etc).
When I choose “open” from the icon – nothing happens.
When I choose “quit” from the icon – nothing happens.
When I switch to cryptomator (with cmd + tab) and choose “settings …” from the menu – nothing happens.

I also checked the console, no entry of any errors or warning …

I downloaded cryptomator again and reinstalled it – the same result.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (Retina) 2015
2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
macOS 10.12.6

Nothing?
I would have liked to use cryptomator …

It sounds like the user interface is not showing up. Cryptomator’s UI is based on JavaFX. Maybe it’s causing problems on your machine. The only thing that I can think of is that Cryptomator doesn’t work inside a virtual machine but that doesn’t seem to be your case? Even though you looked in Console, could you check out the log file that is located at ~/Library/Logs/Cryptomator/cryptomator.log if there are any error messages?

Thanks Tobi,
there wasn’t anything in ~/Library/Logs/Cryptomator/cryptomator.log, not even the Cryptomator folder in the Logs folder.
Is there a possibility to reinstall the Java engine or something like that?
Or is there any kind of data I could provide, e.g. with the analysis tool of the activity monitor?

I just reinstalled it again – not fixed yet, but this time I got a log entry:

17:13:08.307 [main] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Starting Cryptomator 1.3.1 on Mac OS X 10.12.6 (x86_64)
17:13:09.783 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.launcher.MainApplication - JavaFX application started.
17:13:10.060 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.common.settings.SettingsProvider - Failed to load settings, creating new one.
17:13:10.231 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.cryptomator.jni.JniModule - loaded libMacFunctions.dylib
17:13:15.456 [AppKit Thread] INFO  o.c.launcher.MainApplication - JavaFX application stopped.
17:13:17.772 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.c.ui.controllers.WelcomeController - Current version: 1.3.1, lastest version: 1.3.1

I’d like to post my log file as a comparison. I started Cryptomator and then quit.

00:36:32.614 [main] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Starting Cryptomator 1.3.1 on Mac OS X 10.12.6 (x86_64)
00:36:32.933 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.launcher.MainApplication - JavaFX application started.
00:36:32.994 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.common.settings.SettingsProvider - Settings loaded from /Users/<redacted>/Library/Application Support/Cryptomator/settings.json
00:36:33.016 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.cryptomator.jni.JniModule - loaded libMacFunctions.dylib
00:36:33.208 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.util.log - Logging initialized @832ms to org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.Slf4jLog
00:36:33.250 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.frontend.webdav.WebDavServer - Binding server socket to localhost:42427
00:36:33.272 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.e.jetty.server.AbstractConnector - Started ServerConnector@262d4234{HTTP/1.1,[http/1.1]}{localhost:42427}
00:36:33.949 [pool-4-thread-1] INFO  o.c.ui.controllers.WelcomeController - Current version: 1.3.1, lastest version: 1.3.1
00:40:32.537 [AppKit Thread] INFO  o.c.launcher.MainApplication - JavaFX application stopped.
00:40:32.544 [Thread-1] INFO  o.c.launcher.CleanShutdownPerformer - Goodbye.

Two things I’ve noticed:

1. Three [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO lines with org.eclipse.jetty.util.log, o.c.frontend.webdav.WebDavServer, and o.e.jetty.server.AbstractConnector are missing.
  2. Your JavaFX application stopped prematurely.

I must admit that I don’t know why this could be happening. Can you think of any applications/utilities that you have installed on your Mac that could block or interfere with internet connections? I’m asking because Cryptomator uses WebDAV to provide the virtual drive which is technically speaking a network protocol even though it’s only used in a loopback connection on your local machine. But there might be firewalls, antivirus softwares, etc. that aren’t too happy about this.

I have little snitch and a proxy (zenmate), but also when deactivated cryptomator doesn’t start …

And what I noted:[quote]Settings loaded from /Users/<redacted>/Library/Application Support/Cryptomator/settings.json[/quote]I had a look at this location: there is just a file “ipcPort.bin” but no “settings.json” or anything else.

I haven’t found any solution – I have left cryptomator, maybe some day I will try again …

I have the same issue, running Linux mint Cinnamon. Installed from PPA.

Here is the output if I run manually:
18:52:30.106 [main] INFO org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Starting Cryptomator 1.3.2 on Linux 4.10.0-42-generic (amd64)
18:52:30.125 [main] WARN org.cryptomator.launcher.InterProcessCommunicator - System property cryptomator.ipcPortPath not set.
18:52:30.133 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.launcher.InterProcessCommunicator - Could not connect to running process.
18:52:30.440 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.launcher.InterProcessCommunicator - Server listening on port 42383.
18:52:30.441 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.launcher.InterProcessCommunicator - Server shut down.
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javafx.application.Application
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassImpl(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:154)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:729)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$400(URLClassLoader.java:95)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$ClassFinder.run(URLClassLoader.java:1184)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:713)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:604)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassHelper(ClassLoader.java:903)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:848)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:329)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:831)
at org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator.main(Cryptomator.java:33)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javafx.application.Application
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:609)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassHelper(ClassLoader.java:903)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:848)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:329)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:831)
… 13 more
18:52:30.443 [Thread-6] DEBUG org.cryptomator.launcher.CleanShutdownPerformer - Running graceful shutdown tasks…
18:52:30.444 [Thread-6] INFO org.cryptomator.launcher.CleanShutdownPerformer - Goodbye.

JAVA INSTALLED:
java version "1.8.0_144"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 8.0.5.0 - pxa6480sr5-20170905_01(SR5))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.9, JRE 1.8.0 Linux amd64-64 Compressed References 20170901_363591 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
J9VM - d56eb84
JIT - tr.open_20170901_140853_d56eb84
OMR - b033a01)
JCL - 20170823_01 based on Oracle jdk8u144-b01

This is not the same issue, though. You’re trying to run Cryptomator with “IBM J9 VM”. Apparently this doesn’t come with JavaFX. If you need the IBM JVM for some reason and therefore want a Cryptomator version without any package dependency to a specific JVM, please download the .deb file from our website that comes bundled with an integrated JVM.

Is there any update here?

I’m running macOS 10.13.4 and Cryptomator 1.3.2 and am getting the same error reported by the original poster.

I just downloaded version 1.4.0 and it works now.
Thank you for the update!