I lost all my files after updating my vault on cryptomator 1.5!

Hello

After updating to 1.5 and having to update the safe, I found myself with this error and suddenly I can not access my files, I had 1000 gigabytes of data very very important !!! but when I returned to cryptomator 1.4 and unlocked the trunk, there was nothing left in the trunk !!! but when I explore the folder that contains the encrypted files, all the files are still there, but impossible to see them when I unlocked the trunk, all because of this update 1.5 which forced me to update my trunk without warning me !!! Now is there a way to decrypt files other than by cryptomator to have clear files and put them in a new safe? because it’s really a problem if I lose my files, it’s 1000 gigabytes of files !!! Thank you for your help !!!

org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.InvalidOldFilenameException: Can't base32-decode '' in file F:\Coffres\Coffre Sant�\d\TW\OW5UKWFSL4QGWRJDMLIKUQMNKJ6OS2\OZJYJ47L2TMTSGNBTJBIYK47A4CDTBT3.lng
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.FilePathMigration.getDecodedCiphertext(FilePathMigration.java:224)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.FilePathMigration.getNewInflatedName(FilePathMigration.java:210)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.FilePathMigration.migrate(FilePathMigration.java:122)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.MigratingVisitor.postVisitDirectory(MigratingVisitor.java:55)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.MigratingVisitor.postVisitDirectory(MigratingVisitor.java:17)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.Version7Migrator.migrateFileNames(Version7Migrator.java:93)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.Version7Migrator.migrate(Version7Migrator.java:60)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.Migrators.migrate(Migrators.java:109)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.migration.MigrationRunController.lambda$migrate$2(MigrationRunController.java:110)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.Tasks$TaskImpl.call(Tasks.java:139)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding$DecodingException: Unrecognized character: 0x0
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding.decode(BaseEncoding.java:219)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.FilePathMigration.getDecodedCiphertext(FilePathMigration.java:222)
	... 17 more
Caused by: com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding$DecodingException: Unrecognized character: 0x0
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding$Alphabet.decode(BaseEncoding.java:490)
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding$StandardBaseEncoding.decodeTo(BaseEncoding.java:719)
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding.decodeChecked(BaseEncoding.java:233)
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding.decode(BaseEncoding.java:217)
	... 18 more

772/5000

ahhhhhhhh finally I solve the problem! in fact during the update of the trunk, there was a file which posed problem and which could not be updated, which gave me this error, fortunately that the file was displayed in the log of error, who allowed me to find it and placed it elsewhere while updating the safe and I was able to reopen my safe with all my data! I am very happy, I wanted to make a donation just before updating my safe, but I am saying I will wait for everything to go well, and there I have them this disaster, its had me upset because I had access to my data, so like everything is correct, I will make a donation, in any case thanks for the software, it is terribly good

1.5.1 is soon to be released, which has improvements on handling errors during vault migrations. If it’s still migrating and you hit any more errors ,i’d strongly recommend waiting for one of the devs to respond, or the 1.5.1 release before manually removing any files in your vault structure.

Info: its already out. The In-App Version Check needs some time to detect new versions. For everyone who dont want to wait, go to the github release page:

I’ve recently seen a similar case, where the lng file was malformed. Can you check the contents of m/OZ/JY/OZJYJ47L2TMTSGNBTJBIYK47A4CDTBT3.lng? You can open it using a normal text editor.

If it is empty, maybe you can restore it from your cloud / a backup?

the file is 88 bytes, I do not think they are necessary and its poses no problem has accessed my trunk and all the files seem correct, so for now I will leave it like that, as long as it works

That sounds reasonable. Can you post its contents? Just out of curiosity, as it might help prevent errors in the future.

Glad you could solve the problem on your own! :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is the content of the file:

R­×êãzÌ¿—ádgª<˜š!ã@Þ½À%–%à´ïŸù=\w•âgôå˾ÇÓ¢Ä]²¹ûÉ$…"ʒΔ0õþq»·}Eý§‘7;zô¤Xpä…·¥

Here is the error that I gave cryptomator when I clicked on the button update the safe:

org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.InvalidOldFilenameException: Can't base32-decode '' in file F:\Coffres\Coffre Sant�\d\TW\OW5UKWFSL4QGWRJDMLIKUQMNKJ6OS2\OZJYJ47L2TMTSGNBTJBIYK47A4CDTBT3.lng
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.FilePathMigration.getDecodedCiphertext(FilePathMigration.java:224)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.FilePathMigration.getNewInflatedName(FilePathMigration.java:210)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.FilePathMigration.migrate(FilePathMigration.java:122)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.MigratingVisitor.postVisitDirectory(MigratingVisitor.java:55)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.MigratingVisitor.postVisitDirectory(MigratingVisitor.java:17)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.Version7Migrator.migrateFileNames(Version7Migrator.java:93)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.Version7Migrator.migrate(Version7Migrator.java:60)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.Migrators.migrate(Migrators.java:109)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.migration.MigrationRunController.lambda$migrate$2(MigrationRunController.java:110)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.Tasks$TaskImpl.call(Tasks.java:139)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding$DecodingException: Unrecognized character: 0x0
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding.decode(BaseEncoding.java:219)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.migration.v7.FilePathMigration.getDecodedCiphertext(FilePathMigration.java:222)
	... 17 more
Caused by: com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding$DecodingException: Unrecognized character: 0x0
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding$Alphabet.decode(BaseEncoding.java:490)
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding$StandardBaseEncoding.decodeTo(BaseEncoding.java:719)
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding.decodeChecked(BaseEncoding.java:233)
	at com.google.common.io.BaseEncoding.decode(BaseEncoding.java:217)
	... 18 more

When looking at this next line:

Have realized that there is a problem with decoding in base 32 of this file, then you have to see what the file corresponds to, if it is part of the folder structure or something else.

Are you sure this is the content of the file inside the m directory? There is an identically named file inside d.

If this is indeed the one in your m directory, it explains the error. This is no valid base32-encoded data.

Where is the directory and where is the .md file, if you tell me, I could go check