I can't open my valut after reinstalling cryptomator- Android

I can’t open my value on usb android system after reinstalling cryptomator. Can’t link my existing valut

why not?
Please be specific.
What do you do, what do you expect, what happens instead.
Any error messages?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply
I can’t access my created valute on usb when connect to my Android phone. It gave error and doesn’t open. I updated reinstalled the app but …

It doesn’t prompt for password when the usb is connected

Tried to add an existing valut but in vain

When I select the master key file it gives me the folloing message

Valut is root folder of the cloud connection.

Create new cloud connection whete you select at least the parent folder of this valut

See "Vault is root folder of the cloud connection" dialog shown, what to do? regarding this topic.

1 Like

I followed the given instructions, but it gave me the same error message!

Are you really sure that you used the parent folder in the new cloud connection?

Thank you for your reply
I can’t access my created valute on usb when connect to my Android phone. It gave error and doesn’t open. I updated and reinstalled the app but …

It doesn’t prompt for password when the usb is connected

Tried to add an existing valut but in vain

When I select the master key file it gives me the folloing message

Valut is root folder of the cloud connection.

Create new cloud connection whete you select at least the parent folder of this valut

Yes, if I’m mistaken

Finally it worked but came back to square one. The valut opens but doesn’t show any contents and gives the following message

“An error occured”

Please enable debug mode, reproduce the problem and send us the log file:

Does this jeopardizes the security/ confidentiality of my stored file in the valut?

I would recommend to check the log yourself before you send it to us, then you’re completely sure but we log the device model, the Android version, the Cryptomator version and the installed flavor (Playstore, F-Droid, website variant, …), depending on the error it can happen the encrypted file name, in some cases also the decrypted name but not the content, no key material, no passwords, no cookies, no IP addresses…

You may have the same issue like mine (though my problem is on windows).

My fix was to use FUSE install of Dokan Library.

• click the preference icon on top-right corner
  • click virtual drive
  • change volume type to FUSE

Long stories:
I have upgraded Cryptomator on PC1 (uninstall old version and install new version). It prompted to convert the vault to new format. Everything worked fine here. Dokany worked.

Then when I upgrade Cryptomator on PC2 that shared the same cloud drive. I think I did not closed cryptomator when I uninstall it. And I only noticed when I install the new version. It still worked but Cryptomator gives error messages on mounting.

The fix was to use FUSE(fast and recommended) or webdav(slow). Most likely because I had an outdated dokan library on PC2 which is not fully compatible with the vault. I don’t know what was the exact causes though.

I sent the log to support email as requested

The problem of @Semsem_Semsem is related the Android app and not the Desktop one.

Thanks for the log file. It looks quiet normal. I see that you opened a file and returned to Cryptomator. When exactly does the “An error occurred” message shows up?

It was working fine, but suddenly when I tried to open the vault it started to give me “error occurred” then I updated the cryptomator and re-installed it then the application started not to recognize the vault. Thanks to your help I could link the vault to cryptomator but finally when I enter the password it opens and gives “File is empty”!!!

You mean the vault is empty or a file you open in the vault is empty?

When I open the valut there’s no files and message says “folder is empty”
But if I open the valut by file manager I can see one folder together with the master key cryptomator and valut cryptomator
That folder contains 4 subfolders and one of them contains my files in encrypted format. …

Do you recommend any action I can do??? I don’t have access to all my files!!!

Can you please copy the complete vault into a desktop where you have Cryptomator running. Then add the vault there. Do you see your folders there? If not run a vault health check by selecting the vault in Cryptomator → Vault optionsStart health check. Does it show errors?